sand sifting star NOT BENNIFICIAL!?!?

reefer1742

today i was at my lfs about to purchase a SSS and someone there told me to pass on the guy because they actually eat up benificial bacteria in the substrate. is this true? i cant seem to find any information supporting the subject.
thx in adv

bennyhill

The sand sifting star will not harm your tank ,they sift up the top layers of sand ,they do eat some of the bacteria but if your tank is more them 4mth old it will make up new bacteria. The best thing for a saltwater tank is a good cleanup crue.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by bennyhill
The sand sifting star will not harm your tank ,they sift up the top layers of sand ,they do eat some of the bacteria but if your tank is more them 4mth old it will make up new bacteria. The best thing for a saltwater tank is a good cleanup crue.
Many creatures sold as "sand sifting" are not good clean up crew members. In fact, they eat the tiny critters that are good clean up crews. Above that, unless you have a very large, healthy sand bed they will slowly starve.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Many creatures sold as "sand sifting" are not good clean up crew members. In fact, they eat the tiny critters that are good clean up crews. Above that, unless you have a very large, healthy sand bed they will slowly starve.
I agree, what you really need are sand shifters not sifters, there are filter feding crabs and ceartain snails that shift helping maintain a healthy top layer of the sand bed with out feasting on the little microbial life that makes your sand bed work. and like 1journeyman said unless your tank is extremely large it will slowly starve.

ophiura

These stars do not eat bacteria. THey eat the beneficial microscopic worms, crustaceans etc that contribute to a healthy, functional, sand bed.

d0 thy d3w

i kept one alive in my 29 gallon for quite awhile and he was always healthy lookin and happy..ever so occasionally he would climb my glass but spent most of his time partially or completelty buried in the sand..i lost him a litle over a week ago during a power outage..along with my other tank inhabitants...i had 2 snails left..;(

ophiura

Originally Posted by d0 thy d3w
i kept one alive in my 29 gallon for quite awhile and he was always healthy lookin and happy..ever so occasionally he would climb my glass but spent most of his time partially or completelty buried in the sand..i lost him a litle over a week ago during a power outage..along with my other tank inhabitants...i had 2 snails left..;(

Most will not last longer than 12 to 18 months, showing no signs of problems at all, until they disintegrate. Many people believe they are attacked by something. How long did you have it?
Now and then one will take to scavenging, but this is rare, and by far most will die in smaller systems.

liverneck

Originally Posted by ophiura
Most will not last longer than 12 to 18 months, showing no signs of problems at all, until they disintegrate. Many people believe they are attacked by something. How long did you have it?
Now and then one will take to scavenging, but this is rare, and by far most will die in smaller systems.
Had one for over 2 years in a 29G! Kept the sand looking great. when i broke down the tank i gave it away.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Liverneck
Had one for over 2 years in a 29G! Kept the sand looking great. when i broke down the tank i gave it away.

There are exceptions, but there is not doubt they are exceptions, and also that they are eating beneficial critters in a sand bed. The majority of these stars do not survive very long in smaller systems.

cj7eagle

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I agree, what you really need are sand shifters not sifters, there are filter feding crabs and ceartain snails that shift helping maintain a healthy top layer of the sand bed with out feasting on the little microbial life that makes your sand bed work. and like 1journeyman said unless your tank is extremely large it will slowly starve.

what are some examples of good shifters?

ophiura

It should be sufficient, but it comes down to the amount of available surface area of SAND. If it is heavily stocked with LR, then maybe not. But I do NOT recommend them to anyone using a functional deep sand bed. There are better choices for most systems...such as a sand sifting cucumber.

ci11337

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
what are some examples of good shifters?
how 'bout this guy, (some kind of conch) he keeps my CC clear of red slime and other algeas...

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by ophiura

i got mine probly around a couple weeks after my cycle was finished..which was near the begginning of last year...and he died a few days before christmas because we had a power outtage...but he looked healthy to me and was always really active...but your right..they do need more space..i was a noob at the time when i got him...