sand sifting star

pate2929

I was told i did not have to feed my star because he eats and gets his nutrition out of the sand is this true?

T

thomas712

Well yeah he will get what he needs out of the sand, in fact he can deplete the sandbed of what is necessary for it to be a healthy sandbed. He will depopulate your sand bed of all the pods and critters which are critical for a properly functioning sandbed.
I do not have one nor will I get one, for those reasons.
Thomas

nm reef

If you intend your sand bed to be a part of the overall filtration of your aquarium I'd suggest removal of the sand sifting star...they can and will deplete the sand bed of life.:yes:

T

thomas712

Keep a good population of pods and worms.
A cleanup crew of scarlet hermits, fighting conch, Nassarious snails, cerith snails. All on my list of favorates.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Sea cucumbers eat decaying matter that floats in the water or is in the sand. I suppose that they may get a stray bug or two but they are not activly seeking out live prey.
Thomas

jb909

Excuse my ignorance, but are serpent stars and brittle stars considered sand sifters? I just bought them from this site and I'm gonna be bummed if they are.

donmgicwon

I have a lot of LR and he seems to only go where there is open/clear sand. So the good organisms should still be able to populate MOST of the substrate. Right?
I wish LFS's would ask a few questions whenever they sell something.:confused: