Sand sifting Starfish Question

natclanwy

Originally Posted by cablebox615
http:///forum/post/3039794
Im not ruining nothing you can do what you want to do. Listen or not. You dont kno if I going to one day upgrade my tank. Which I do plan to do. More sand.
You are by not caring whether your tank inhabitants live or die, if they die oh well your just going to go buy another one creating a market for livestock that just shouldn't be in a home aquarium which leads to the unnessicary depletion of natural populations. When that happens restrictions start being placed on the collection of livestock and they won't just target one particular species. The restrictions will cause prices to rise and the availabitly to go down hurting everyone involved in the hobby if your so arrogant to think that what you do doesn't hurt anyone else you need to wake up and smell the coffee. There are thousands of people out there just like you and if we can educate a handful of people through this forum and change their additudes we have done a great thing towards preserving a natural resource and protecting the future of this hobby.

scubachris

WOW!!!! I didn't think a question about a ss starfish would turn into such an argument. I agree that I don't want to buy something I know is going to suffer and die, but thereare also some people on here who seem to treat fish with the same level of concern as fellow humans. Personally I dont want a fish or anything to suffer, but some of you guys need to relax! There are plenty of more important things to get worked up about in the world today.

ophiura

http:///forum/post/3039639
Well that still doesn't change my opinion. I know what a ss starfish does. I kno the good and bad. I don't need a biology lesson on a ss starfish. Yeah she answered scubaChris's question. The question was about feeding.( Her first sentence). That was all that was needed. Not a biology lesson on how its going to die. He didn't ask for all that info. He might have a large enough sand bed and tank. I don 't have a attitude. I just feel that somethings should be kept to yourself . Maybe I just read it wrong.

This is a board where people share opinions. I am not going to keep it a secret if I think 1) that the animal is destructive and 2) that in most cases it will die.
Most people do appreciate knowing the odds. They appreciate learning that hmmmm, maybe it is cool but it could have risks. Did I say "take it BACK!!!" No, I did not. Did I say he's a jerk for buying one and why didn't he research it? No. Was I critical in ANY way? No. I shared what is, IME, the norm and the facts and my opinion.
In *most* smaller tanks, these will not live longer than 18 months. Success for less than this time frame is not success, yet, at least.
And then they die, in a very characteristic fashion. Often it is too late to add more sand - in and of itself this does nothing. The tank needs to mature to develop the sand ecosystem which can take months...with a star there to eat it the worms, crustaceans, etc...it will not develop. And if the star is already starving, as many are after 6-8 months, then often this is irreversible.
I do hope that people will research and consider the issues in this hobby. Yes, there are important things in the world. So why waste money in this economy on something that may not be what you want? People talk about the environmental impact of this hobby, another big concern. Most animals in this hobby are wild caught animals, and IMO we have an obligation to provide the best we can for them. It IS a consideration when you think that this particular animal is also harvested and dried for the souvenir and craft industry. Now that may not be everyone's opinion, and that is fine. But I won't keep it to myself. I am happy to be able to share a biological perspective. Many people seem to value that, but others are not as interested. There are geeks and there are non-geeks. I am a geek.

BTW, one poster mentioned tangs. Tangs, in the opinion of many, need to swim and so need larger tanks. I find it odd that an animal that needs lots of room to eat does not get the same consideration.

Such boards, hobby books, etc would be very limited and dull if no one provided their opinions. We may not LIKE their opinions, and anyone is free to counter it in a productive way...go for it. Your opinion is that you like them, it has done ok, and you don't mind if it dies in the long run. That is fine, it is not uncommon. While I worked at an LFS, people wanted to buy fish for the big super bowl party, and didn't care if they lived through the weekend. There is a wide spectrum of philosophies in this hobby.
r />MY opinion is that 6 months is not long enough to know, and that they can not typically be maintained long term in our systems, so I don't ever recommend them. I am entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. I don't come to this board to change opinions, to be honest, because it would become less of a joy and more of a frustration. I just share.
It may die, it may not. You can share that opinion with everyone, and the OP may follow your advice and not mine. I am fine with that. It's not like I am deleting your advice because I disagree with it.
But to the OP - if you have problems with slime algae, etc, this animal is EATING the critters that may really help with that. So it is in no way really helping the problem. If you think you are enjoying the benefits of a healthy sand bed...this is one of the worst animals to add (very counterproductive). If that is why you bought it - if that is why, more likely, the LFS sold it to you - then it is misleading.
And I would still never recommend them, whether people want to hear it or not.

cablebox615

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3039775
So I give you thanks now for possibly ruining the future of this wonderful hobby for the rest of us.
You can not sit their and put that on me. That is wayyyy over the edge. If anything I am helping the hobby. My second job is working in a coral farm so you can say what you want. I want to start my own coral farm. I am majoring in biology with a 3.69 GPA with two jobs. Reef keeping is my life. Reef keeping is why I majored in Biology. If any thing im making the hobby better. In my own special way.
Ophiura I get what you are saying. I really don't think what I was trying to say was needed to be direct towards you. As a person I Am Sorry. I respect someone with your experience in the hobby. I was just mad at something and read a little to much into what you wrote and by the time I figured out what you were trying to say it was It was too late again Im Sorry.
But to me some people learn things better by trial and error. Maybe this will be the last ss starfish I ever own. Idk. I get things more for my own personal research not just to have it in tank. But to all say what you want to say. As long as I have God , My girl(the most beautiful girl in the world), and my reef tank. I could care less what you say.

beckzilla

http:///forum/post/3039639
Well that still doesn't change my opinion. I know what a ss starfish does. I kno the good and bad. I don't need a biology lesson on a ss starfish. Yeah she answered scubaChris's question. The question was about feeding.( Her first sentence). That was all that was needed. Not a biology lesson on how its going to die. He didn't ask for all that info. He might have a large enough sand bed and tank. I don 't have a attitude. I just feel that somethings should be kept to yourself . Maybe I just read it wrong.
Yes you do have an attitude! And it is very arrogant!!!

beckzilla

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3039775
IMO keeping a star for six months doesn't make your experience the norm and you the expert. Ophiura is extremely knowledgeable about sea stars and I would count myself fortunate that she took the time to respond to the thread and share her knowledge and experience. You obviously believe yourself to be an expert and didn't need the extra info Ophiura provided but maybe the OP isn't as arrogant and appreciates the extra info she provided to help preserve the well being of our critters and our oceans.
As far as your attitude about whether the star lives or not I think its irresponsible to buy something that is just going to die. This hobby has already caused restrictions to be placed on the collection of animals and irresponsible and uncaring attitudes like that will cause even more restrictions to be placed on the harvest and collection of animals.
So I give you thanks now for possibly ruining the future of this wonderful hobby for the rest of us.
Could not have said this better myself!

cablebox615

Well I was man enough to say I was sorry so why would you keep going on about. Say what you want to say. Have fun in this thread talking about a dead subject.

ophiura

Let's just keep this on topic of SS stars and leave it at that. everyone can share opinions on that topic, but let's stay away from personal accusations either way.

hazelnut

Let's just keep this on topic of SS stars and leave it at that. everyone can share opinions on that topic, but let's stay away from personal accusations either way.
Well said I only wanted to know if I needed to feed my ss star with anything else other than marine flakes and frozen brine shrimp that my 2 clowns love.
(But it was slightly entertaining reading! Lol) ????