Sand star fish eaten

gupsterwantabe

In my 75gallon tank I have a yellow tang, Orbic bat fish, a fox face, a clown fish, two yellowtail damsels, a scooter blenny and a goby. I recently bought a sand starfish and someone ate at him.
Has anyone had a sand star fish? Does anyone know who would have eaten on him???

fishfreek

I've got one in my reef. It would be unlikely that he is eaten by the fish you have mentioned(not sure about is the batfish). Sounds to me as if one of his limbs fell off and not eaten. What is your SG in the tank and other water levels? Did you acclaim your starfish very slowly, over a peroid of 3-5 hours or so? If not this may be your problem. Starfish are VERY sensetive to salinity changes.
[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: fishfreek ]

ironreef

how long have you had it and did you slow drip to acclimate?? Most important for stars. they are sencitive to salinity. if done to fast they fall apart. or it could be hiding in your sand

mal

I had 3 bigger hermits that were eating on both of mine. When i finally figured out what was damaging them I took the large hermits out and put my stars in the sump to recover. Worked well. Watch those hermits.... :eek:

jakob4001

well, our large hermit does not even give the starfish a second look...however, the purple tipped seems to think YUM YUM...now IF only the not-so-smart starfish would learn to just stay away; of course it smells the silversides we feedthe anemone