Sanding/staing a Stand

daftboy

Has anyone done this ? I have come into a stand and its a older style /finish on it....was wondering if I could sand/re stain it

nikesb

nothing too hard. start with a rougher grit and make your way up to finer sand paper. keep it in one direction, usually following the wood.

daftboy

ok ive painted cars just not wood...lol what grit do i start at and what progressively should i go to...

daftboy

DO i also use just a stain right? since it will be indoors or do I need to seal it as well...etc

nikesb

look into minwax polyshades. its a stain and clearcoat as well. the clear will seal it. doesnt really matter what grit you start with. just make sure u end up using super fine. then use some pre-stain and then stain away

daftboy

you can't tell me super fine.... at least for me doing auto before this that is 2500 grit...
and I don't think that would do anything to wood..

aquaknight

What color are you looking to restain the stand? General with restaining wood you can go to a darker stain, but you can't go to a lighter color. That grooved style wood is going to make sanding tough, as first you don't want to burn the edges off sanding, and second getting into the seams is probably going to require hand sanding (and hours of). If you pick a stain that's just 'redder' chances are those seams are probably going to be pretty dark.
If the stand was just skinned in that wood and it's not structural, I would just suggest to removed and reskin it. But it doesn't look like that's the case. Start with 150grit, move to 220, and finish with 320/600.
In a worst case scenario, you could always just paint the stand. A black stand/canopy fits well into most homes today
Originally Posted by Daftboy
http:///forum/post/3265417
you can't tell me super fine.... at least for me doing auto before this that is 2500 grit...
I've got some 6000/20000 (four zeros
) grit polishing cloth I use to fix scratched acrylics/plastics.