sandsifting star owners, please read

fishfreek

I have a sandsifting star in my 45g reef, hes been in there about 3-4 months. I'm thinking of trading it back to LFS and getting a fighting conch instead to stur the sand bed. I really like the starfish and he does a great job sturring the sand but have heard that they eat all the critters that are supposed to be bennificial to my DSB. Anyone have any further info on these guys??? Anyone kept these for an extended peroid of time? What were /are your conlusions on weather this will deplete sand beds of wanted faunta?
thanks,

mlm

i have both sandsifting stars and fighting conchs. I think all the stars really eat is the detritus. It just does not seem like they could get pods or worms. I may be wrong though.

I have 2 sifting stars and they don't seem to stir up the sand very well. I was thinking of getting something else to help but am undecided.
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/reefatnk125" target="_blank">www.geocities.com/reefatnk125</a>

reef newbie

Get a horseshoe crab.There great at sifting your sand or cc.I have tyhree of them.And they don't grow as fast as everyone said.

jakob4001

well they do a great job at sifting thru the sand; but heard they are voracious consumers of beneficial inverts in the sand bed

fishfreek

Thanks for the additional feed back.
Any else have anything to add? I guess i'm looking for some reefers that have had good results useing these starfish in reef systems with a DBS. Does anyone have evedence that this star indeed depleates the sand bed of faunta and not just bacteria and ditrius? I really don't want to get rid of him, but i will if i get more first hand info that will support this subject one way or the other.
thanks,