Sandstorm help...

j trigger

Okay just filled up my first saltwater tank (its 29g).
I first added the sand then started adding water, about halfway through filling the water it looked like I could use some more sand, so I added some more... Huge sandstorm! How long does this usually take to settle? And should I wait till it settles to turn on the filter and heater?
Also there is some white foam on the top, i take it that is just from the sand?
:confused:
Thanks!
-Jason

denny80688

Im going through the same thing right now. But I didnt add more sand later. just had a sandstorm from filling the tank. it settled after about a day and a half...

coxy101

It took me a couple weeks for the tank to become clear. If the salinity is good, you can start to cycle your tank before the sand settles. I bought some LR from our host here and started the cycle going before the sand settled. Might as well kill two birds with one stone...
I don't have a filter (I have a fuge), but I do have a skimmer and I didn't put that on until I was pretty much done with the cycle.
Turn on your heater if you're going to add LR to the tank because you don't want to kill off all of the life on the rock.

D

dubbin1

Right now theres really no reason to even worry about running a filter. All its going to do is plug up with sand.

j trigger

I think I might just siphon out all the water and start over... It is still VERY cloudy about 16 hours later...

coxy101

Don't start over - it will get cloudy again. It can take a WEEK for the sand to settle. Be patient.:)

B

big911dog

All the REALLY small stuff is what u really need to get the LS working as a denitrification filter. it will settle with time and be a great addition to ur bio filtration system.
i know i speak for many when i say we realize the frustration of waiting for curing LR/outlasting the sandstorm....
But its worth the wait!
Keep the faith....:yes:

j trigger

Right now I have a Whisper 30 Power Filter... Soon im upgrading to a Penguin 125...
Can I put the polyfilter material in the whisper 30? And where do I buy polyfilter?
If the water is just sitting there, wont it turn stagnet? It seems like there should be something moving around the water a little...
Thanks!

debbie g

Ask your LFS if they have any poly pads. Its just a piece of fabric that will catch the big stuff before going into the filter. Do not take your water out to start again, it will be a waste of time and water. You can put your filter on as long as you put the poly pads so none of the sand gets in the filter. You can scoop out the foamy stuff by hand (I just used a fish net). Don't put on your powerheads. The tank WILL clear up, this is where your patience must start. Think of every day as a work in progress. HTH
Good Luck!

j trigger

Im kind of wondering if this cloudy water is caused by the sand or not.. I have been running my filter with foam in it, and there is no sand in the foam at all. I wonder if its just my tap water that is cloudy? :notsure:

debbie g

You should look into saving up for a reverse osmosis unit. It will take all the impurities out of your tap water. Did you condition your tap water at all? As in a de-chlorinator or anything like that? I believe that the cloudiness is from the sand for sure, but in the long run, you'd be better off using r/o water. Hang in there. The water will clear up.

j trigger

I have some AquaSafe made by TetraAqua that came with my tanks, should I put some of that in?
It says its safe for all marine aquariums...
And I would like to get a RO unit sometime in the future, just not enought money right now...

debbie g

I use r/o-d/i unit, so I don't know which brand of water conditioner for you to use. Read the label and see if it does what you need it to do. I didn't see you mention anything about test kits. You should get a ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph test kit so you can see how your tank is progressing. It will help you keep track of when exactly your tank is finished cycling and therefore safe for any inhabitants. In the meantime, I don't know that I would go fussing around with anything until the sand settles. Then do your tests. In fact, do a search on a thread called "cycling 101" I think that is it anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
ChrisCobb, thanks for the backup :D Where in PA are you? I'm near the DWG Bridge.

debbie g

Exactly my sediments...uh...I mean sentiments, ChrisCobb. :jumping: And by the way, not much in the way of LFS around here either. I found a place in Staten Island that I like. It's one and half hour ride from here, but beggars can't be choosers.

j trigger

Okay so I drained all the water, and refilled (without making the mistake of adding some sand after half full) and the water is almost perfect...
Thanks for all the suggestions...