Sarcophyton elegans propogaton

kmatysek

We have a relatively big (12" in diameter), gorgeous yellow sarcophyton elegans in a 90g. My only attempt at propogation was with a small extension that was at the base of this coral and was in the shadow. That was two years ago and it is now a good 7-8 inches in diameter.
I think I'm brave enough to tear into the original since it's offspring is such a substantial size (even if I kill it, I haven't lost).
I've read up on how to do it. I've seen the recommendations of cutting it like a pie or like a donut (and leave the center in tact). Any recommendations? Nothing I've read tells me how it will affect the appearance of the original coral. I'm a little sentimental about it since it was one of the first corals we bought. Will how I cut it be obvious in its appearance once it's recovered? Or will it look like new in time?

kmatysek

Can anyone out there advise? Does cutting into a leather coral destroy the appearance of the original coral, or will it recover in time?
And is there a preferred approach for cutting that minimizes the damage done?

kmatysek

Thanks, that's a great site. Unfortunately, it's example with a sarcophyton was to remove one full head from a colony (and they don't show how the original coral healed).
I want to know how damaged this beautiful yellow coral will be if I do it. My husband is against doing it although I think we'll have no choice soon at the rate it's grown. I just want to know how to cut it to keep it so good-looking.

adrian

Although I have not yet propagated the particular species in question, I have propagated many Sarcophyton sp. Its pretty easy, the main things are to make a nice quick clean cut, a razor blade works well, you dont want to saw on it, its a good idea to remove the mother colony from the tank in order to make the cut, if possible that is, attaching the cutting can be tricky, there are several methods, rubberbands, glue, netting, the method that has worked best for me is to push a toothpick through the frag and then force the toothpick into a hole in a piece of rubble, make sure the cutting is in contact with the rock and place the frag in conditions similar to that of the mother colony and give it some time. Sarcos are sensitive to being touched in anyway so expect the frag and the mother colony to close for a day or two, if the corals are healthy they will soon reopen and begin to heal and regrow. Since this is your first attempt try a small cutting or two, maybe the size of a quarter. HTH

kmatysek

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I'll try a different strategy since I'm new to this. I'll chop into my smaller one. Then I'll tackle the big one.
Waterrat, the big guy is one of the first 3 corals we put in our 90g tank when we first started. We've lost a few along the way (2+ years) but he has thrived. We have 2x96 PC actinic and 2x96 PC daylight and we placed both near the top of the tank. You've got greta lighting - I'm just wondering if maybe your problem was placement in the tank? They are very sensitive to touch, but otherwise have been sturdy throughout our 'learning'.