Saturn (GM)

maryg

Um, I would look under the hood. I think some Saturns have Toyota Engines. I would go with the best warranty and gas milege.

yearofthenick

I'm worried about buying domestic because you hear so many more horror stories than you do foreign. Come to think of it, I've only heard two stories about an issue with a foreign car.
My buddy has an Element (bought it the first year they made them) and it had a problem with the linkage or something, but being the first year it was produced, it doesn't surprise me that there might be issues. Also, he drove the hell out of it.
Second, another friend of mine bought a Tundra with a bad transmission, but they changed it out for him no charge and it's been fine ever since.
I had a 4Runner and it's definitely smaller than the newer highlanders. I don't think I want to get another one.
Maybe I should get an Accord or Camry for now and save the SUV for when we have more kids.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/2943539
Um, I would look under the hood. I think some Saturns have Toyota Engines. I would go with the best warranty and gas milege.
lol, no they don't.
Saturn is a brand owned by GM. The closest thing GM and Toyota produce is an engine they use for nascar. Other than that. They are completely separate.
barring some weird agreement I've never heard about. Now, reverse engineering, might be another story.

zsqure

The saturn outlook may be pretty appealing because of price, there is a reason why it is so inexpensive. They are having a fire sale trying to stay afloat. I would agree not to buy a domestic unless you get them to throw in an extended warranty for as long as you might think you would keep that car. Be prepared for the value to be about $3500 trade in four years down the road. Remember oldsmobile? If you are dead set on a domestic look seriously at the buick. Otherwise run fast, run far to your nearest honda or toyota dealer. Their products have proven to be more reliable, that's why they have such a large market share. By the way, I have 2 generations of GM employees and 1 generation of ford employees in my family. I currently own a mini cooper, honda, and mazda. I'm done with domestics until someone can guarantee me I will not pay for a repair for as long as i own the vehicle.

zsqure

I think you have been mislead, the Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.
the aveo is a scion xa and a daewoo something or other
pretty soon we'll have a new chevette made by TATA

forcrz6

I have had my Saturn since 94. I have never had any issue with it what so ever. I recommend it as I am going back to get a new 1.

socal57che

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2943574
I had a 4Runner and it's definitely smaller than the newer highlanders. I don't think I want to get another one.
You need to look again. 4Runner is quite a bit larger than the Highlander. Your 4Runner was a pre 2004, wasn't it? They are much bigger, now. They also have a lot of luxuries that they once did not have. They are no longer the no frills, off road SUVs they once were.

socal57che

Originally Posted by forcrz6
http:///forum/post/2943595
I have had my Saturn since 94. I have never had any issue with it what so ever. I recommend it as I am going back to get a new 1.
15 years and no blown head gasket on a '94? No cracked body panels?
If you want a new one, you had better hurry because GM is dumping Saturn.
"10 Cars That Damaged GM's Reputation (With Video)
GM's current precarious situation didn't come about overnight. There are arguments to be made that various government regulations led to the disaster and that management can't escape much of the blame, and there are plenty who contend it was a series of disastrous union labor contracts that have put the company at risk. But there's one thing everyone agrees on: Over the past few decades GM put some truly terrible products out on the market. Unreliable, uninteresting and flat ugly, these were cars that simply destroyed GM's reputation."
#5. 1991-1995 Saturns
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...88.html?page=5

stdreb27

I love them mocking the h2 and the EV1. Completely ignoring what is really going on. Especially with the EV1

dragonzim

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2943684
You need to look again. 4Runner is quite a bit larger than the Highlander. Your 4Runner was a pre 2004, wasn't it? They are much bigger, now. They also have a lot of luxuries that they once did not have. They are no longer the no frills, off road SUVs they once were.
I have a 2004 4Runner that I bought as a certified preowned last January. It had 35K miles on it and with a 100K mile warranty I got it for $23K or so. A buddy of mine has an 08 Highlander and my 4Runner is a LOT bigger than his Highlander.

sigmachris

My wife has had an Outlook for over a year and we love it. No troubles with it what so ever. The AWD in the light snow we get in southern Ohio makes for great traction control.
The gas milage isn't what we expected (20 to 25) but we average about 16 mpg with most of that being city driving. It seems to be the normal 15% to 20% drop off from what all dealers advertise their MPG at.
The purchasing of the car was the most pleasant car buying experience I have had. No haggle sales...they list all of their cars with a minimal mark up over invoice. As for my trade in (2000 Ford Explorer 2x4) they gave me $4,000 last year. In late 2007 when we were looking at a Dodge Durango, their dealership wouldn't budge over $1,800.
I have no problem endorsing the Outlook even if you did go to SRVHS.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2943815
My wife has had an Outlook for over a year and we love it. No troubles with it what so ever. The AWD in the light snow we get in southern Ohio makes for great traction control.
The gas milage isn't what we expected (20 to 25) but we average about 16 mpg with most of that being city driving. It seems to be the normal 15% to 20% drop off from what all dealers advertise their MPG at.
The purchasing of the car was the most pleasant car buying experience I have had. No haggle sales...they list all of their cars with a minimal mark up over invoice. As for my trade in (2000 Ford Explorer 2x4) they gave me $4,000 last year. In late 2007 when we were looking at a Dodge Durango, their dealership wouldn't budge over $1,800.
I have no problem endorsing the Outlook even if you did go to SRVHS.
My honda civic si, gets 30-35 mgh when I commute on the highway 30 miles one way. They advertised 28 hwy.

socal57che

My '05 4Runner V-8 gets 18.1mpg city/21mpg highway (highway includes crossing the rockies) and I guarantee no moss is gonna grow under it. I push it pretty hard. It has just under 130,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt at 125K and went ahead an replaced the water pump as a precaution because it's timing belt driven. This and oil changes are the only expenses in 130K. (I did replace headlamp bulbs and a park lamp bulb)
I averaged 20.1mpg pulling my '57 Chevy from Missouri to Oceanside through Colorado.

drdingo21

http:///forum/post/2944026
My '05 4Runner V-8
gets 18.1mpg city/21mpg highway (highway includes crossing the rockies) and I guarantee no moss is gonna grow under it. I push it pretty hard. It has just under 130,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt at 125K and went ahead an replaced the water pump as a precaution because it's timing belt driven. This and oil changes are the only expenses in 130K. (I did replace headlamp bulbs and a park lamp bulb)
I averaged 20.1mpg pulling my '57 Chevy from Missouri to Oceanside through Colorado.
Jesus. My caddy gets 14 mpg in the city and 17 hwy.... pos.

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2943684
I had a 2004 but it looks EXACTLY like yours... same body style and everything... we even had the hood scoop just like yours...
And you have to agree that there's no way they could put a third row in the back of a 4runner... it's just not possible. The new highlanders have the third row as an option and you actually have leg room... it's not much, but at least it's there.
So when I made that statement (highlander bigger than 4runner), I guess I should have said at least the trunk space is bigger.
Even if we wanted the 4Runner, it's no longer an option because we need something with a thrid row.

yearofthenick

I just ran my credit today, and it's shameful... There's no way I'll be able to qualify for a loan right now... any loan. The last 6 months of unemployment have really taken its toll.
So the plan has changed. Now, I'm going to save up for a civic or an accord... use that to commute and Jenna will drive my doublecab tundra with the baby. It's not ideal, but the right answer for now.

socal57che

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2944143
I just ran my credit today, and it's shameful... There's no way I'll be able to qualify for a loan right now... any loan. The last 6 months of unemployment have really taken its toll.
So the plan has changed. Now, I'm going to save up for a civic or an accord... use that to commute and Jenna will drive my doublecab tundra with the baby. It's not ideal, but the right answer for now.
I often refer to this as the proverbial "blessing in disguise"

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/2944683
And you're saying that is going to be a better vehicle than a civic or accord? Can't be...
WEll it has to be, it was designed in Korea, and engineered in Germany...
That is domestic for you...
In all seriousness, it looks ok, I'm pretty prejudgice after climbing into a civic vs a small or midsided chevy. And then looking at them after 5 - 7 years.
The problem is, I don't trust a chevy motor besides the 5.7 350 and the 3800 series. I'm not going to trust a powerplant that they sold in a saturn.
How many times are they going to produce a pos midsize before they get it right? Seriously?
Then these is this whole thing, where they are blurring the lines of where they do things. If you really want to buy american, taking a risk on a new model of car vs buying a tried and true Honda, buying a car designed in Korea and engineered in Germany even with the bowtie kind of defeats the purpose. Heck the Civic is designed over seas and built here too...