Saving sand

I'm planning on going out of saltwater for a while and I plan on storing the live rock in a barrel with no water....my question is how do I save the sand.....Or is there a way I can use the sand for freshwater it will have guppies too fish and merits snails

lmforbis

I would just get new sand. I’ve never had any good experiences saving sand. Always caused me problems.

MrReefkprZ

I have re-use sand many times, I always wash it really well before storage, then dry it out. that said you will experience a burst of ammonia at start up because that bacteria on and in the sand dies and is left as dead bio-film on the sand, plus any phosphates will remain in the sand, and lots of dead organisms wont be removed by washing. you tend to have a higher algae production start to your cycle when reusing sand. but on the bright side you don't need to add an ammonia source. If it's a cost issue you can absolutely do it but be prepared for more initial work on the new set up.

Most people will recommend new sand and it's not a bad idea, but if you are prepared for it there's not really many reasons not to re use sand.

I would not use your sand for fresh water unless you ae doing a cichlid tank.

2quills

Ive been reusing the same sand for several years now. I usually have had to ad some fresh live sand too it each time ive moved or relocated a tank. Shouldn't be a huge issue if its rinsed. Older/deeper sand beds typically accumulate nasty stuff like hydrogen sulfide so you have to be a little more careful.