Sax Players, HELP!

jacknjill

My parents just bought me a used Yamaha YTS-21 tenor sax. its in great condition, only a few minor scratches for $750. i played my school's new yamaha for 3 years in middle school and now im a highschool freshman. i would consider myself an intermediate level student.
ok, i have been looking for a good metal mouthpiece and there and tons of them! ive been looking around on music123.com and i dont even know where to start! im not looking to spend over $200. what is a good all around mouthpiece? im doing concert band and i need a mouthpiece that will be good for upper and lower ranges. can anyone help me out or tell me what i should be looking for? Thanks

cartman101

couldn't you just take the sax back to the store your parents bought it from and use a schools sax? I was in band for 2 years in high school and they had lots of instrements students could use.

jacknjill

well, yeah i could but the one they have at the highschool is ancient! its from 1950 and has to be completely repadded and is a piece of crap. plus ive been wanting my own sax and its like $70 a month to rent one! im just looking for a good mouthpiece for it.

cartman101

are a hard core band freak? If not i would just use the old sax.
saving you money

Just think what you could spend with $700 in fish and corals

cartman101

just tell your band director you are poor and cant afford one and that you love band, that way he will give you a free one

cartman101

Originally Posted by JacknJill
:thinking: lol, true true. but i love playing the sax. i just need a good mouthpiece
see if your band director will give you a free one since you are *"poor*".......

cartman101

lol
by the way, do you know anything about metal mouthpieces?
yeah.......there metal

cartman101

oh ok, that clears it up for me lol. thanks anyways :hilarious
No problem.....

macjm

Just spend the money on the metal mouth piece. It will work out better in the long run. The only thing you have to worry about is warming it up in the winter(if you are in marching band also that is).

S

simm

I dont play Sax but I do use this site. Might look on here. I get my other stuff from it.
ww
.com
Stupid url blocker. Ha what a freaking JOKE. Sorry do a search on google for Woodwind and Brasswind. Its the first link that pops up.

jacknjill

ok, i was looking on that site simm was talking about. i think im going to go with the T75 Vandoren V16 metal mouthpiece and the Vandoren Optimum Series Saxophone Ligature.

yimmy

I played the Sax 5 years ago in 4th grade and I remember I was the hot shot that played with got to go to the middle schools and played with the 7th graders. I'm a freshmen in HS too now. The V16 is good...thats what I had, it has a lot of range. I ditched the Sax and now play the guitar

bronco300

never used a metal mouthpiece, played the alto for about 8 years or so, stopped in college....but woodwind and brasswind is an amazing place for help and anything ya need.
i believe vandoren is a good company though and would have very good products....i would be worried about a metal mouthpiece if you are ever in marching band, whew