Say good-bye flatworms

T

thomas712

Well I got my 2 new Blue Velvet Nudibranches today. Didn't waste any time sucking up a few of the little locusts either, just seconds after they landed on a rock they went to work.

T

thomas712

Heres a pic of the other one that I released on the other side of the tank.
Was thinking of names for them, :notsure: perhaps after a couple of sharks on this board

legend

that is so sweet...how much did you pay for it? I need one, my flat worms are out of control. I was thinking of either a leopard wrasse or the nudibranch.

T

thomas712

Those are only small patches of the flatworms, I have some rocks that have been just red with those little punks, they seem to have gone down since last weeks water change though but there are still a ton of them, they seem to like wading through the star polyps every time I blow them off with a turkey baster the water colum fills up with them. No shortage of them in my tank it seems.
Originally I thought they all died when I did that leathal alk overdose from the bad batch of instant ocean, but noooo.
Well we shall see how these guys do, so far I think they are pretty cool. :happy:
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Legend
that is so sweet...how much did you pay for it?

You will find them located on the invert section of this online store here at SWF.COM, just look at the buttons on the left. They are 19.99 per flatworm.
Thomas

kahnsell

I know that this is an old post, but I am curious as to how the nudibranches fared with the flatworms...
Thomas???

T

thomas712

The Blue Velvet nudibranches were working wonderfully, you should see the flatworms try to run when the BVN was on a rock, however one was total MIA and the other found my power head, so both are gone now, but they were deffinatly working. I'd do it again, only with much more preperation by nudi-proofing my tank better. I started a thread about nudi-proofing the tank some time ago.
I loved seeing them attack the flatworms, it was like a kid sucking up a gummy bear. :D
Thomas

golfish

Thomas,
Thanks for the post...about the time you last replied I saw a few tiny tiny flat worms in the tank. I was at the wholesalers yesterday and picked up a couple Blue Velvet nudibranches and a 6 line wrasse just to keep em under control, I hope..I've probably had em for awhile but never really noticed. I had em in my 150 and didn't even know it unitl I took the tank down.

T

thomas712

I hope yours fare better than mine did, they were definatly working, don't forget to run the carbon once in a while to remove the dead/dieing flatwrom toxins, or perhaps the toxic excrement of the nudibranch (guessing on that one), but it seemed to affect my corals after a month of them eating the flatworms.
Love the natural way :jumping:

daveb

I tried to read about flat worms last night after reading this thread, and for the life of me, I could not find anything that said they are bad or why they are bad to have.... could anyone enlighten me as to what the problem with them is...
Thanks, Dave

meadbhb

Hiya,
I've got little red spots on my base rock and was wondering if they were flat worms. However, I don't see them move. Looks a little clear for coraline growth. Do these guys move around a lot?
Meadbhb

golfish

Originally posted by Thomas712
don't forget to run the carbon once in a while to remove the dead/dieing flatwrom toxins,

I've been running carbon 24/7 for a few months now..I think I'll continue that. I just wanted to avoid using any chemicals. I don't see very many at all right now.

baytran7

I guess flatworms are out of the question if it's going to be like a mandarin, they eat all the flatworms and then starve to death.