Scam!! Beware !!

scubadoo

Greetings fellow hobbyists...I stumbled upon this scam on ----...seemed like a great deal for a slat water set-up......until you read that you are bidding on a CD with information. Just wanted to let y'all now....in case you stumble upon this. SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!!! I hope SWF.com will let this warning stay on the Board. http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2900147105

scubadoo

Lord..it is a typical scam. it is misleading to some..as you can see. The info about the CD is not in the title, the pic is not of a CD, and the disclosure is at the end. A detailed listing at the beginning of the description leads one to believe they are bidding on what is in the pic, a 125 gallon set-up with numerous extras. . The seller built up his/her feedback by buying stuff less than a buck (typical enbay scammer front set-up). Has feedback greater than 20 so many will not check their feedback to see the negs.. Makes the description really long....plays on the impatience of most...and the need to hurry and Buy It Now, as some people will buy it now quickly as they feel somebody may beat them. prays on the elderly...as most are trusting. It is deceptive advertising at its best....and has already caught a couple suckers. I'm sure more will be suckered. But he/she is offering free shipping. Mighty sporty of them. The seller is human debris...and I consider that a compliment.
Forgot to mention....the seller runs private auctions, so bidder identity is hidden, preventing a fellow ebayer from warning them before auction closes.

i'm not real big on computer scams so, whatever. i just figured that if someone is gonna buy something, they should make sure to read everything that goes with it. you know what i'm saying? i didnt know all that hiding idenity thing though. i personally try not to buy stuff off the net anyhow since you never know whats gonna happen after you put all sorts of private info out there. oh well, live and learn i suppose.

kennynj

unfortunatly we all have to be aware of
what were bidding on. as Barnum said
"there's a sucker born every minute"
and probably 10 wolfs waiting to jump.

yosemite sam

Does anyone have an ---- account? I looked around at the site and there is a fraud complaint line but I think you have to be registered. I've never used ---- so I'm obviously not. One of us could probably just cut and past scubadoo's little summary (which hits the nail on the head in my opinion) and send it in. This is a really crappy scam in my opinion and while there are no bidders now, you never know and I'd hate for someone to get screwed by this person. I dunno... maybe I'm just mad but I really hate people like this!

krishj39

I just wrote him an email and told him off. i'll let you know what he writes back, if he does.
Here's what I wrote:
Hey Mr Scam, what are you trying to pull? 300$ seems a bit steep for a CD doesn't it? All I can say is you are lucky I don't have a better way of informing the general public to avoid you. Although, I belong to a prominant online aquatic forum, and you can be sure I'll do all i can on there to make sure they, at least, will steer clear of you. Yes, you are right, people who bid 300$ for a CD are idiots for not reading all the details, but that's just who you are hoping for, isn't it?

chinnyr

I've seen other scams for Saltwater/reef tank items on ----.Like the one telling you how to propigate coraline algae.It is for a booklet of info that you can find on your own if you just post asking questions on this board.

jhead

I'm an ---- member, I checked out there policies and they have no way that I can tell to make life hard on this guy. I did however find the company that hosted his domain name sent them the following message:
"This guy is a scam artist on ----. I don't know if you can help the rest of the world out. But This guy is nothing but scum, and a miss leading scam artist. You control this domain name right now and I'm asking for your support on behalf of the rest of the honest people at ----. Do something to make it harder for this guy to be such a SOB to the rest of the world. I'm posting this email to several forums with your ISP information attached. I hope that you will do something to help us teach this guy that what he is doing is wrong. "
I also found this tid bit of useful information for those of you devious enough to make use of it.
"Your Account

[hr]
500MB Myqth.com Hosting Plan
There will be a charge to The Hudson Consultancy (US customers) Or Hostroute.com Ltd (UK customers appearing on your credit card statement."
Name startsavingn0w.com
Username startsav
Password aLLPr5Gk
Just my way of, saying thank you to this SOB.
The first thing someone should do is go in and change his password. As I am posting this information, I'm not about to be the one to do it. But, if and when you do please let the rest of us know what it is. :):mad:
He is possibly using other ID's with the same password. If you can find those and change them more power to you. With this information, you will be able to get his email and warn people that they are be ripped off. Also quite possiblly he is using the same ID and password on Paypal, you could login change his information and transfer any funds back to those who sent it to him, or where ever, just don't tell me about it.
I love my job as a Network Engineer, but sometimes people like this force me to use my skills in ways that I otherwise wouldn't have!!!!!!!!!

broomer5

SCAM !
1972 Corvette $5,000.00 or highest bid.
A very popular model for many Vette fans !!!!!
ENGINE-
Type- 350 cubic inch V-8, 454 cubic inch V-8 optional
Horsepower (net)- 200@4400rpm standard, LT1- 255, LS5- 270
Compression Ratio- 8.5 to 1
Carburetor- four barrel
TRANSMISSION- Buyers choice of automatic (no cost with base
engine, $97 with optional motors) and close or wide ratio 4 speed manual SHIPPING WEIGHT- 3215 lbs (coupe) 3217 (convertible) PRODUCTION TOTAL- 26,994 (20,486 coupes) (6508 convertibles) FACTORY PRICE- $5472 (coupe) $5246 (convertible) CHASSIS DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase- 98 inches
Overall length- 182.5 inches
Front tread- 58.7 inches
Rear tread- 59.4 inches
Tires- F70X15
1972 CORVETTE OPTIONS
255 horsepower LT1 ($483.45)
270 horsepower LS5 454 cubic inch big block ($294.90)
ZR1 package ($1010.05)
Heavy duty battery ($15.80)
Power brakes ($47.40)
Power steering ($115.90)
Air conditioning ($464.50)
Detachable hardtop ($273.85) vinyl covering for hardtop ($158)
AM/FM radio ($178) AM/FM stereo ($283)
Telescoping steering wheel ($84.30)
Whitewall tires ($30.35) White letter tires ($42.65)
Custom ******** ($158)
Custom deluxe shoulder belts ($26.35)
Rear window defroster ($42)
Power windows ($85.35)
Please be aware that what you are bidding on is a "plastic model" that you must paint and assemble with model glue.

broomer5

I made it myself to illustrate a point about reading what you think you are bidding on - that's all ;)
Let the buyer beware - and that person should be ashamed of themselves.