scared clown

J

jim63dt

ok guys and gals got a quick question. Im new to the site(and the hobby) and just need a little info.
Ive been cycling my 30 gal long for about a month and a half. i have about 28 lbs live rock 20 lbs live sand 2 snails 3 red claw hermits and 3 damsels.
I recently (2 days ago) bought a small gold stripe clown fish and acclimated him with the drip method for about a hour and a half as soon a i put him into the tank my 3 stripe damsel started going after him like theres no tomorow. I mean he had perfect fins and now there all chewed up!! I'd Hate to have a $20 fish to get killed by a $5 fish!
I put the bully in my sump underneath the tank to try to seperate them.
but now im at a loss since ive seperated them the clown has just been hiding in back of the tank under some rocks. Im not even sure if he eating. Im new to this hobby so any advice i would surely appreciate it.
Thanks Jim
BTW I love the site!!!

drew2005

Im fairly new to the hobby myself but i know one thing. Get rid of those damsels. Bring em to your LFS for a trade or something. They will do nothing but stress any other fish you put in there. The clown will come around. Don't push him or anything. He will come out when he is comfortable and feels its safe.

pontius

if by gold stripe clown, you mean a maroon clown, a grown maroon clown could easily hold it's own against a 3 striped damsel. but two mistakes....you got a SMALL one, and you added the damsel first. if there's a clown to keep with damsels, it's probably a maroon, because they can be as nasty as damsels, but with a small one, you should have added the clown first. he'll probably be ok, maybe change the rock around a little and keep the damsel out for awhile, if not forever.

cubb

I'm with everyone else on this. Keep the damsels out and take them back to your LFS. All of them will get aggressive as they become adults. At 30 gallons you are also fairly limited on fish stock and there are so many other fish that I'm sure you would rather have.
As far as repairing your Maroon's fins, I would suggest trying MelaFix. I have had two gold stripe maroons myself and both of them have gotten fin rot. The first one died.
I used MelaFix on the second one and I saw a noticeable regrowth of fin just after two days. Its been three weeks now since I got him and he looks very healthy and happy. Give yours a few days and keep the damsels out and I'm sure he'll soon become your favorite fish.
-CuBB
edited for spelling.

J

jim63dt

Thanks for all the quick responces.Ill let you all know whats happens