scarlet reef crab?

jmsullivan

Does anyone know any info on scarlets in a reef? I was told by a reef store they are safe. I have had one for about9 mo. most everything seems fine then all of a sudden one day my fuzzy mushrooms started dissapearing and 2 days and 5 mushrooms later I caught him red handed mowing them down is this normal to all of a sudden take an interest in my mushrooms after 9 mo?

kris walker

If it is a scarlet, I would say it is possible only if he is real hungry. Do you normally feed him, or do you leave him to his own devices?
Also, is it possible that he is a Mexican red-legged hermit instead of a scarlet reef? I have heard, although confused by all the different types, that the Mexican is more aggressive than scarlets.
sam

jmsullivan

I really am not sure what kind of crab it is but the store I got it from was a reef only store and I assumed the would know what they were selling me, but no I'm not sure. The crab's shell is about 1 1/2" and his legs are solid red except the big claw which is brownish with red outlike. The red on the rest of him is more like a orange red.

big dave

Mexicans get about the size of a baseball and have white spots on their legs. If you provide big shells for them to move into they are interesting to watch but, are NOT REEF SAFE!. True scarlets stay small and are totally reef safe. They don not have spots on their legs and have a yellow face.

oldest salt

JM
Without a pic, it's hard to tell what crab you've got.
One mistake we make when we are new to the hobby is assuming the LFS has enough knowledge to keep you out of trouble. That assumption would be wrong in many cases. The LFS owner, if he knows anything at all, is many times not around. So, you get one of the employees who was flippin burgers at McDs yesterday and now he's the know-it-all at the LFS.
Trial and error my friend, plus read, read ,read everything you can get your hands on about this marine hobby.
All of us have to pay our dues one way or another. I did it (55 years in the hobby). Everyone on this board is doing it. Welcome to the board and the hobby.
Have fun learning. Strive to learn as much as you can.
Not only have you learned that not all red hermits are good mates but by sharring it here you tought some of us. Thanks! :)
The Oldest Salt :cool: