School of fish for our 75 gal display?

shelley293

Hope I am not annoying anyone, as new to this forum (love it BTW)!
As we plan out our tank, I would love a pretty school of fish in the tank. I have watched some youtube vids of blue green chromis, and I am not sure it is quite the look I am going for... They seem to swim loosely together, rather than in a tight school?
LFS also suggested a school Anthias, scissortail gobies... What else do you recommend? I will search for some vids on Anthias school in the meantime!
Truly, thanks in advance for any help you can give!

nycbob

in a 75 gallon, hard to hv a school of anthias. green chromis is ur best bet imo since they stay small. another fish to consider is the bangaii cardinal fish.

wangotango

Threadfin cardinals (Apogon leptacanthus) are your best bet. They'll stay in a pack and won't pick each other off like chromis, and don't have the dietary needs of anthias.
I've never seen a "school" of gobies, but a small group would work.

btldreef

Got to love unpleasant people, hopefully a mod will pick up on this lameball guy by later in the morning, I've already PM'd two about him, you should see what he's writing in everyone's threads.
Anyways:
Schooling fish for a 75G:
Some Anthias in groups of 3 will work (a stretch, and do not recommend for a beginner) such as Dispars, Bartletts, Carberryi and Waitei. Anthias are not easy fish, I've killed my fair share of Dispars.
Cardinalfish: Pajamas or Banggai (my PJ's only school at night) these fish do well in groups of 3 or more
Firefish can be schoolers
Chromis (some school, some don't, can be aggressive towards each other)

shelley293

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know if the antias will tend to swim closely together or will they spread out all over the tank? I guess I am looking for as tight schooling fish as possible.

wangotango

Originally Posted by shelley293
http:///forum/post/3228807
Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know if the antias will tend to swim closely together or will they spread out all over the tank? I guess I am looking for as tight schooling fish as possible.
We have a large group of Lyretail anthias in the 530gal tank here at PSU. While they don't all stay on opposite ends of the tank, it is rare that all of them are in a tight pack. Even then, the male is usually of somewhere else.
If you're looking for fish that will stay in a "pack" then cardinals are the fish to go for. Cardinals are nowhere near as active as anthias though, so they're not always entertaining to watch.

btldreef

I have cardinals and lyretails in my tank. The cardinals will not come out during the day and occasionally school together at night. The anthias I own are almost always together. Sometimes the larger one (which is turning male) will stray from the group, but it always returns.
I've read a lot hear and on other forums that cardinals stop school after a few months, if they every school at all.
Anthias usually will stay in small clusters, especially while they're young. They're very active fish.
DO NOT put lyretails in your tank, it is way too small for this species.

dacia

I also have a 75, and I am planning on getting 3 green chromis and 2 firefish gobies as my schoolers in addition to the other fish I want.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by shelley293
http:///forum/post/3228369
LFS also suggested a school Anthias, scissortail gobies... What else do you recommend? I will search for some vids on Anthias school in the meantime!
Antheias are a little harder to care for. I would call them intermediate fish. They also grow rather large. Not tang sized, but they do have a bit of meat on them. Think super sized goldfish.
Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3228423
in a 75 gallon, hard to hv a school of anthias. green chromis is ur best bet imo since they stay small.
I was about to recommend the Green Chromis myself ^_^
They are small and dart about. I was told keep them in odd numbers. I eventually lost one to jumping, and went from even 4, down to odd 3.
They fight by turning around and kissing each other. Whoever has the bigger mouth wins, and gets to lead. Thats as rough as it gets with these fish. I wouldn't mind adding 2 more to make it an odd 5. They do pack nice and tight. And have a blue/green silvery tint that can really shimmer under some lights and pristine water.
A definite value at $5 a piece at most LFS.
They defy the rest of the damsel family. They are docile and timid with other species. I call them the goldfish of the sea, they are really durable fish. Definite noob friendly fish.
Originally Posted by reefaholic33

http:///forum/post/3231022
Purple firefish gobies! I had 5 and loved them. They stayed pretty close, no aggresion either.
Never seen these till today! I like :)
Originally Posted by Dacia

http:///forum/post/3231012
I also have a 75, and I am planning on getting 3 green chromis and 2 firefish gobies as my schoolers in addition to the other fish I want.
Three is a good number. Stay odd, it might be superstition.
Who knows...But I was told by the clerk that it has always been better for him to do them in odds.
scary!