schoolin fish

R

reefdad

Anybody have an opinion on some small schooling fish ? I have the following in a 150gal.:
1- vlaminig tang
1- yellow tang
1- sail fin tang
1- hippo
1- fox face
2- clowns
1- banggai cardinal
2- pajama cardinal
My wife would like something not too expensive as a "fill-in" look of smaller fish. SOmething that will school. i had thought about blue or green chromis but i have always heard people say that if you buy 15 of them you willl end up with less in short order.
Any ideas?

A

adam57

Are you looking for movement or more stationary fish? I had three royal grammas but there was some aggresion there. I also had 3 firefish but there wasn't much movement there. I would say some small Heniochos Bannerfish but they grow like weeds and may get beat up by the tangs. Anthias are always an option but their not so cheap anymore. A harem of wrasses would add a lot of color and movement.

R

reefdad

Im thinking of movement in a group of something small. Like I said I really like the look of the chromis darting around together keeping the tank looking busy and alive, but it just seems that people don;t have great luck with them. Maybe it is just rumor

A

adam57

If your looking for good movement I would at least give the chromis a shot. Their cheap enough to be a low risk gamble. I am actually considering putting some in my 135 gal. as well.

1boatnut

Well I just added 5 Chromis to my 125 and I really enjoy them.
The place I purchased them sell them tank raised,and a fairly good size.
They claim being tank raised really cuts down on their demise. Of course they were not as cheap as a regular Chromis. Shelled out $20.00 a piece,but if they do well,then I guess its money well spent??

deton8it

I had 7 Green Chromis for a while in my 90 gallon. I'm down to one now but it has been about a year. I was actually looking at buy more as soon as I can find them. My LFS sells out of them as soon as they get them.
John

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deton8it http:///t/394099/schoolin-fish#post_3507398
I had 7 Green Chromis for a while in my 90 gallon. I'm down to one now but it has been about a year. I was actually looking at buy more as soon as I can find them. My LFS sells out of them as soon as they get them.
John
they kill each other off until they have a successful herd/gang. i started with 6 and have had 4 for about 6+ months.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR http:///t/394099/schoolin-fish#post_3507402
they kill each other off until they have a successful herd/gang. i started with 6 and have had 4 for about 6+ months.
Yup... I started with 7 that went right into QT. One died within a day or two, and one more about 3 weeks later during hypo. But I had 5 make it into the DT and a year + later all 5 are happy and healthy.
Some say the cyanide sometimes used to collect them is a reason that a lot die shortly after you buy them. I think that I read that it takes up to a couple of weeks to hit their systems and kill.

darkfish

I have only had good luck with my Green Chromis. The only ones that died where jumpers. I saw no real aggression. Once one disappear and I found him a couple of days later in the sump. He was alive but didn't look healthy. When I put him back in the display tank he cheered right up and was part of the family again. I thought they were awesome fish and will get them again when I start up another tank.