Scientific name of my Brain

jonjpl

Hi everyone, I have a new Open Brain and I have been told that it is a "Trachyphyllia" and also a "Wellsophyllia sp".
I'm hoping someone can tell me for sure which it is. And, what is the difference?
Also, I've seen that it has at least 5 "mouth" openings, do they all lead into 1 "stomach" or several?
Thanks, james

spanko

Wellsophyllia is no longer a valid name and some people argue the same thing for the species name radiata, this according to wetwebmedia.

jonjpl

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3059112
Wellsophyllia is no longer a valid name and some people argue the same thing for the species name radiata, this according to wetwebmedia.
So what do I have? What kinda Brain is it? Thanks

florida joe

If I only had a brain I would go out on a limb and say, Trachyphillia Radiata of which blue morphs are rare and quite beautiful

spanko

Hee Hee, sorry I forgot to tell you that huh? You have a what appears to me to be a Green Open Brain Coral, Trachyphyllia geoffreyi.
To answer the other question it can have from one to three mouths per polyp. I am not a marine biologist and do not know if all mouths go to the same stomach, or if there is even a stomach or some other mechanism for coral to absorb nutrient. Hope what I do know has helped you a bit and do know that there are plenty of places to research your questions out in the web, and maybe someone else with more knowledge than I can also chime in here.
Good stuff, keep posting questions here, lots of good people that want to help and learn.
And lastly welcome to SWF.com

jonjpl

Thanks for the information.
I'm looking everywhere online trying to find out as much as possible.
But, there is so much conflicting info out there. Any personnel experience from anyone on here is greatly appreciated.
Give me all your do's and don't and any stories you might have about your Brains. And, Thanks so much.

florida joe

Henry my fine-feathered friend. Let the games begin.
Now for the test
Radiata are always attached to a hard substraignt and not free living
Trachyphillia normally has a base that is cone-shaped BUT T. geoffroyi does not have this characteristic
OP the answer please

jonjpl

No cone-shape to my Brain's base, it is flat. And it is not attached to anything, just sitting on my sand bed and hangin out. I fed it for the first time this morning before head off to work. It eagerly took in the Mysis and Silverside pieces I offered :)
What ever it's species name is I think its pretty cool!

spanko

Not at all, I believe Joe in his own way is saying he believes that your brain is a Trachyphyllia geoffreyi.