Scooter Blenny & Mandarin Dragonets in Hypo?

old_salt

Can these little guys survive 5 to 6 weeks in Hypo? Have one of the Scooter Blennies in a tank with a Kole Tang that has gotten Ich. I know all fish should be put in Hypo, but worried about this fish starving to death with no pods, no live rock or live sand in my QT tank. Any suggestions?

nygel

wait, im no expert, but are you putting the mandarin and scooter in cuz of you're afraid they will get ich? cuz they can't get ich.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nYgel
wait, im no expert, but are you putting the mandarin and scooter in cuz of you're afraid they will get ich? cuz they can't get ich.
Blennies can get ich. It is not likely, but they can. Does he eat frozen foods? If not can you pull the mandarine and the blenny into a seperate qt and put some rock in with them? Do you have a fuge with a large population of pods that you can daily feed the blenny and the mandarine while you observe them in a substrateless qt while the ich dies off in the dt?

nygel

scooter blennies are a type of dragonet, just liek a mandarin. they are just thrown into the category of blenny by lazy people. (just like how mandarin gobies arent gobies)

lion_crazz

scooter blennies are a type of dragonet, just liek a mandarin. they are just thrown into the category of blenny by lazy people. (just like how mandarin gobies arent gobies)
Scooter blennies can still host and contract ich.
"Lazy" people do not throw scooter blennies into the blenny category. That is their common name in the hobby.

lion_crazz

Right, I agree with you. Just like an engineer goby is not a goby. However, it is not lazy people who call them blennies. That is their common name in the hobby.

nygel

which originated from them not wanted to have a dragonet group cuz of 3 fish, so they split them up (lazy?)

lion_crazz

which originated from them not wanted to have a dragonet group cuz of 3 fish, so they split them up (lazy?)
There are 186 species of fish in the Callionymidae family of dragonets.

old_salt

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Blennies can get ich. It is not likely, but they can. Does he eat frozen foods? If not can you pull the mandarine and the blenny into a seperate qt and put some rock in with them? Do you have a fuge with a large population of pods that you can daily feed the blenny and the mandarine while you observe them in a substrateless qt while the ich dies off in the dt?
Thanks for the help! I decided to leave him in the original DT for a few weeks. The other fish that were in this tank are going into another tank once they finish hypo. I know there is Ich in this tank so I'm not sure what to do with this fish. Even if it doesn't show signs of having Ich, wouldn't it still carry the parasites? I have not had any fish in my 125G get Ich and I don't want to risk putting this fish in that tank if he might infect my tank. Anybody ever have one of these fish survive hypo?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Old_Salt
Thanks for the help! I decided to leave him in the original DT for a few weeks. The other fish that were in this tank are going into another tank once they finish hypo. I know there is Ich in this tank so I'm not sure what to do with this fish. Even if it doesn't show signs of having Ich, wouldn't it still carry the parasites? I have not had any fish in my 125G get Ich and I don't want to risk putting this fish in that tank if he might infect my tank. Anybody ever have one of these fish survive hypo?
It isn't realy a question of them surviving hypo, it is a question of their food. Mandarines, I believe, do not get ich and wouldn't become a host either in your display. For the blennie I am thinking maybe spot feeding him some pods with a turkey baster. The pods wouldn't die upon impact into the hypo water. They will live for a little while. I do think that the ich in your display will host the blennie and continue to live and there is a possibility that he could carry them.