scooter blenny

nemo1234

I just got a scooter blenny from my LFS and brought it home. Now my question... he lookeed fine in the tank, and by the time I got him home he had this white stringy stuff floating off of him.... what is that? I don't have my quarintine tank set up right now because I was cleaning it out, what do I do?
Next question, they should be fine with yellow coris wrasse to, right?

nycbob

maybe its just some loose skin. scooter blenny is a tough fish. but when it come to feeding, i hope u hv enought copepods in the tank for him. they will starve if u dont. they need lots of live rocks to survive along with a tank that is established for at least 8-12 months. if u meet these requirements, u should be ok.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nemo1234
yeah, i thought about that, but things seemed fine... but its now all done, so, what do I do?
The stringy stuff is gone? What is all done? Does his skin look grey?

puffer32

I wouldn't recommend QT for a scooter anyways unless your QT tank had pods, so you did ok with putting him in your DT. My scooter goes under the sand alot and comes out with stringy stuff with sand stuck to it some times, it shoud go away if its the same stuff.

nemo1234

I put him in, of course, and this morning, I don't see him yet and I've looked to, hopefully he'll come out soon.
Do, they bury themselves? You say that yours comes out from the sand....

coatej01

My scooter buryings himself in the sand only when he is sleeping. He also NEVER goes on any rocks, he just simply scoots along the sand and sifts through the sand all day. My scooter also started eating mysis, so try some of that too.

integral9

Scooter Blennys (Synchiropus stellatus) are actually not Blennys at all. They are part of the Dragonet family, like the Spotted Dragonet and Mandarin Dragonet. They don't have scales and that white coat you see is their defense mechanism. It's a slim coat and happens when they are stressed out. Mine showed up like that when my nitrates went up. He got better after a water change.

nemo1234

questions on the copepods... how do you know if you have enough? will scotters eat anything else other than that? The LFS saud I'd be fine with it, and they have been pretty reliable with me.... up until this, now that we are talking copepods
A little info
My tank has been up and running for about 4 months now....
water parameters have been good.

puffer32

What size tank do you have? Do you have a fuge? Sorry, but your LFS is not as reliable as he should be if he didn't tell you scooters need lots of rock work because their main diet is pods.

integral9

Originally Posted by nemo1234
questions on the copepods... how do you know if you have enough? will scotters eat anything else other than that?
My barrometer is to look at the fish, since the pods are often hard to see and hide for fear of their lives once the dragonet gets into the tank. If the fish's underside looks thin in the first 1/2 of it's body, it's probably a sign there aren't enough pods to eat. If that happens you can suppliment your pod population with a bottle of pods. Some people can get their dragnonets to eat others things than pods. I think my scooter will eat frozen food now (hard to tell since he won't compete), but my mandarin won't touch anything but pods and runs from my feeding syringe.
Generally people say a year is an apropriate amount of time to wait for a pod colony to be sufficient to sustain a dragonet. A refugium helps tremendously in this effort as well.