scooter blenny

K

krichardson

just added a red scooter blenny to my tank, along with some live "tigger pods"(what it said on the bottle). what do they eat other than the live pods?? should i provide any other food than that?
-thanks in advanced

nycbob

they will need a well established tank with lots of lr. i hope ur tank has been up for at least 4-6 months. try to supplement its diet w pods then, or it will starve.

L

lsu

Its stomach looks a little pinched. Have you tried to see if it would eat frozen mysis, in case your pod supply is low?

K

krichardson

i just got him today...so i havent tried to feed him anything. i just put him and the tigger pods in the tank.

nycbob

u still havnt mentioned whether this is a new setup. tough to help if u r withholding info.

skipperdz

You Can Suppliment With Live Brine Shrimp As Well. My Scooter Eats That As Well As Small Mysis Shrimp.

al mc

Krich...I agree he/she looks thin. Your tank probably is not established enough to supply all his needs with natural food (ie home grown pods). He/she will need to be supplemented with mysis that you add a supplement like Selcon to to increase his caloric intake. Mysis shrimp alone will not supply him with everything he/she needs...he/she needs some pods as you indicated you purchased for him. You may find yourself buying lots of pods if he will not eat mysis for you.
An ideal system for a pod eater like this is a tank that has been established for at least 6 months which has hopfully matured enough to have a sustainable pod population.
In place of that a refugium attached to you DT would be an excellent area to cultivate pods. If you have no 'in sump' refugium you might consider having one that hangs 'in' the DT. There are many on the market or you can build your own if you consider yourself 'handy'.

jawdubb

Great looking scooter, I have found that both of ours love to eat frozen cyclopeze. I looked hard to find a food they would enjoy because we hastily bought them and didn't realize the difficulty of feeding them. I also ended up getting a hob refugium and added macro algaes from our lfs and that has made a difference because they are both fattening up nicely. I also think yours is a female because of the short dorsal fin, the males have a larger one that they like to show off.

K

krichardson

thank you for all the help! i will buy some Selcon and start feeding it mysis. since I'm going to be using supplements(which i have never used before) on the mysis, they should be frozen right?
and if it wont eat the mysis i will try some of the other foods suggested.