scooter blenny

C

camero1984

Can anyone give me any information on this fish if it's hardy or not or easy to keep or anything would be appreciated...

carrie1429

These fish can be difficult to keep mostly because they are hard to feed, most blennies will starve even though they have food. Their main food is coepods so if you want a scooter blenny it is good to have a well established live sand bed. IMO they aren't very hardy.

bhav_88

I would have to disagree with the last statement, and agree with the first. They are hard to feed and usually starve, but I personally believe that they can live for a week or two in bleach. You cannot kill them by conventional means. No mortal weapon can harm them.

fshhub

IMEO, easy to keep, and hearty fish
The only problem as mentioned is feeding. Even though their main diet is pods, tehy can be weened very easily in most cases. The big trick is feeding them, they do not swim as most fish do. And will not fight for their food, IME there are only 2 ways to get them to eat effectively.
1) use sinking pellets, they will not come up for flake much
or
2) feed tehm frozen or fresh foods, and use a turkey baster to spot feed near them. It will get the food down where they will generally take it
With them, the trick is gettign the food to them, not getting thems ome food they will eat

col

Camero
Mine lasted a month in a newly set up tank, with no Live Rock.
They are not actually blennies but Dragonets.

itchy

My scooter blenny will eat anything that gets to the bottom of the tank. He seems to be hardy as I have had an outbreak of ich and he has shown no signs of it. I was told that blennies and gobys don't usually get ich which seems to be the case in my tank. He was the 2nd fish I added to my tank and he is still going strong. He used to swim to the top of the glass going up and down but now that I have a Huma he tends to stay on the bottom. Neat fish to watch....he doesnt like my CBS and teases him all the time. They can be comical to watch.:)

katara

I can only tell you that my(former) LFS(who probably made half of his lease money off of me) SWORE to me that my scooter blenny would eat all the leftovers and would "definitley eat flake food"..
unfortunatley that was before I knew about this B.B. and I really thought things were going great until I found "her" dead one morning.I now believe she died of starvation as my tank was not matured at only 3 months old and could not have supplied enough copeods..as a matter of fact..I have been referred to a marine biologist who is a friend of another LFS,who told me that though my tank has almost 50 lbs. of almost one year old established lr. it will only have enough pods to last a couple of weeks at most.He also advised me to buy live baby ghost shrimp, IF I can find some or at worst, some live plankton IF I can find some(our ports are shut down in S. Cali).Needless to say..though they are gorgeous..they take alot of effort to ensure they do not starve in captivity.Good luck

grayne

I agree with the statements above that the Scooter Blenny is almost impossible to kill as long as it is eating. I got mine about a year ago and she is doing fine, but about the only thing other than pods she will eat is brine shrimp (either fresh or frozen, but not sinking pellets or flakes). As noted above if your tank is filled with aggressive eaters, make sure you target feed or find a way to feed the scooter seperately - it is not the most agressive or smart fish when it comes to eating, it would rather watch other fish eat its food that to try and take it.

mrfish

I try and feed mine when it is a certain part of the tank so that the water flow will move the food close to it.
They are fun to watch but have got to be the dumbest fish there is.

msgail5325

Originally Posted by Grayne
I agree with the statements above that the Scooter Blenny is almost impossible to kill as long as it is eating. I got mine about a year ago and she is doing fine, but about the only thing other than pods she will eat is brine shrimp (either fresh or frozen, but not sinking pellets or flakes). As noted above if your tank is filled with aggressive eaters, make sure you target feed or find a way to feed the scooter seperately - it is not the most agressive or smart fish when it comes to eating, it would rather watch other fish eat its food that to try and take it.
Is it safe to feed the scooter blenny shrimp right from the freezer?
and how often?

puffer32

I had one afew yrs back and didn't research him first, he ended up starving to death cause refused to eat anything but pods, when my tank ran out of them (no fuge at the time) he died. Now I have a large tank with tons of rock so i got another scooter. This one eats only live brine shrimp and pods, refuses all other foods, but not worried about him starving with all the pods in my tank, he is very fat! But, here's the thing, if you don't have a fuge and lots of pods, don't get one unless you know for sure it eats other foods, why get one in hopes you can get it to eat frozen? to risky