Scooter blenny

aarone

Do scooter blennies eat PODS like mandarins or do they just scavenge around. Mine seems to eat at the sand alot, so i wasnt to sure. I dont want him to die off slowly

Yes they do eat pods, almost exclusively. I had one in my 55 w/ 75 Lbs of LR. He didn't last two months and decimated my pod population. I would never get another without a refugum.

thewizzrd

I have two scootres and they are both doing fine, they eat whatever i put in the tank along with scavaging the rock and sand. They are fun to watch.

tigerlover

my scooter is mean(or rather, he's part of nature)my new cleaner shrimp had babies and I went downstairs today and found out that it had but I only found 1 because my scooter ate all the rest, he started to pick on that 1 but i got it out. oh well at least he had a good meal

ophiura

As noted, scooter blennies are much like mandarins, and do best in large mature reef tanks no younger than 6 months old. My absolute minimum for selling one was a 55g with at least 55 lbs of LR, preferably set up at least a year.
These sorts of fish can eat up pods very very quickly, and not all will take to things like frozen brine (which should be fortified, if it is fed). Many do starve to death, over many months.

tigerlover

These sorts of fish can eat up pods very very quickly, and not all will take to things like frozen brine (which should be fortified, if it is fed). Many do starve to death, over many months. (Quote)
Mine will not eat brine, only the baby cleaner shrimp. I hope mine doesn't starve. :( also, if i add stress zyme, the stuff with all the bacteria, will my scooter eat that?

entice59

thats just bacteria, not pods, i used to think that too. If it wont eat brine, you can try mysis shrimp, or try soaking them in garlic. If that doesnt work, you should bring them back because they are just going to die anyways

entice59

everyone in the house loves that my scooter, i told them i was probably going to give it to my friend then they angry at me

I put my scooter in 3 weeks after setting up my tank and he's been one of the hardiest fist in the tank. He eats whatever I put in (usually frozen brine shrimp) plus scavenges off the bottom. I've been treating my tank for ich for the last 18 days and he hasn't been affected at all.

chinnyr

My scooter is a mystery.I used him to cycle my tank and he has been fine ever since.He constantly looks around for pods,but I still have tons,and they mainly comee out at night anyway.He will agressivly eat frozen brine and has recently began eating flake food as well.It's funny to watch him try to swim after free floating food and catch it.

col

Scooters and Mandarins are both Dragonets and not Blennies or Gobies as they are for some reason called.