Scopus Tang

bulldog123

A week or so ago we were having a discussion on sump designs. I have been gone and today is my first chance to get back to you. I have attached pics of my sump(hopefully). Maybe others will also give their opinions or suggestions. Im not implicating right or wrong just trying to get people to think about what they are doing. And maybe I will get some advice on how to make this better.
Basic breakdown
144g half circle DT reef
sump 40g breeder
right chamber intake some day I will decide on a skimmer
middle return
left fuge
The water level is 10" dual mag 9.5 w/restricter valves
maxijet 900 feeds the media reactor
50gph feeds the fuge

florida joe

Does that system work for you ? If so it is a good system. The great thing about this hobby is that is lets us be creative. What works for you may not work for me

scopus tang

Bulldog, Thanks for posting up the picture. looks like the primary overflow chamber is on the right - I see the line coming in from above, is this also your skimmer chamber? Chamber on the left appears to be the fuge? Where is the water supply for this one? Doesn't appear to have any lines feeding into it.

bulldog123

You are correct in your thoughts. The fuge is supplied by a 50gph pump from the middle chamber right now. After I put in the skimmer, someday soon the pump will be moved to the same chamber(right). I just didnt have enough hose to reach any further.
In the sump I have 2 mag 9.5(to big), maxijet 900,50gph ph, 2 heaters,and an auto top off. And still need to decide which skimmer to add.
Thanks for the response.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3207180
You are correct in your thoughts. The fuge is supplied by a 50gph pump from the middle chamber right now. After I put in the skimmer, someday soon the pump will be moved to the same chamber(right). I just didnt have enough hose to reach any further.
In the sump I have 2 mag 9.5(to big), maxijet 900,50gph ph, 2 heaters,and an auto top off. And still need to decide which skimmer to add.
Thanks for the response.
Ok, so your fuge flow through is the 50 gallons per hour provided by the maxijet, then it overflows and spills back into the return chamber. With this system do you have an issue with air bubbles in the return? It is a pretty effective design, provided you have the space to work with, and mimics the effect of a seperate fuge.

bulldog123

I did have problems with micro bubbles in the DT. To combat this I turned the return pumps way back and raised the water level in the sump. I am only running 1 MP40 in the DT now but plan on putting in another. I wish I could use more of the power from the Mag 9.5s but the overflow surges and creates to many bubbles. Any suggestion on that would be apprecited.

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/3207196
I did have problems with micro bubbles in the DT. To combat this I turned the return pumps way back and raised the water level in the sump. I am only running 1 MP40 in the DT now but plan on putting in another. I wish I could use more of the power from the Mag 9.5s but the overflow surges and creates to many bubbles. Any suggestion on that would be apprecited.
Is it the actual overflow that surges or the return into the tank that causes the surging? A second balast on the algae chamber probably would have fixed the microbubble issue (so the water had to go down underneath the ballast after passing over the top of the 1st ballast). With the water level higher isn't water from the return chamber mixing freely with water from the fuge?

bulldog123

No the water from the fuge is dropping maybe 1/2". The micro bubbles are coming from the return along with the surge. I can see the water level change in the built in overflow. The "standpipe" is bought not DIY so im assuming the holes are big enough.

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/3207286
No the water from the fuge is dropping maybe 1/2". The micro bubbles are coming from the return along with the surge. I can see the water level change in the built in overflow. The "standpipe" is bought not DIY so im assuming the holes are big enough.
Did you match the GPH volume of the overflow to the GPH of the pump that you are using? I've also problems in the past with the return creating microbubbles if the water volume over the return pump is too low, the pump sucks air along with water - other than that or from the skimmer (which you don't have) their shouldn't be any microbubbles. Have you checked the vent hole on the top of the overflow to make sure it is fully open and not partically plugged by a piece of residual plastic or something else? You may need to enlarge it, but I would hate to tell you mess with it for sure as something else may be causing the issue.

bulldog123

I am building a compartment for the two return lines to go into. This will force the water to go through three more baffles before entering the skimmer chamber.
I cannot find any info on how much water the pumps need to be in. They are mag 9.5s in 10" of water. That should be enough to keep them from sucking air. I can see the micro bubbles coming out of the return heads so I know the problem is in the pumps. I dont know if they are sucking up to many air bubbles or if it is something else at this point. Both pump are new as of yesterday.
I can control the surge by closing the valve on the return lines.
Thanks

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/3207997
I am building a compartment for the two return lines to go into. This will force the water to go through three more baffles before entering the skimmer chamber.
I cannot find any info on how much water the pumps need to be in. They are mag 9.5s in 10" of water. That should be enough to keep them from sucking air. I can see the micro bubbles coming out of the return heads so I know the problem is in the pumps. I dont know if they are sucking up to many air bubbles or if it is something else at this point. Both pump are new as of yesterday.
I can control the surge by closing the valve on the return lines.
Thanks
The additional baffles may help, as the air bubbles maybe being generated via the overflow, and you're just not noticing them in the sump. The Return pumps shouldn't be generating air bubbles if they are in 10" of water, assuming they are completely covered by a couple inches (don't have that particular pump, so I don't know what size it is). If there are existing air bubbles that your pumps are sucking up, that is the source of your problem. Figure out where those bubbles are coming from and you will have eliminated the problem.
My concern with controling the surge by closing the valve, is that you are actually then restricting the normal flow of the pump, and thereby making the pump work harder. This will, over time, shorten the life of your pump - meaning you will have to replace them more often.