Scored on a Yellow Figi Leather!

smoney

I bought a yellow figi leather and it was a beautiful bright yellow one. It was a medium, like 4"-5" for $40.00. It also had a bunch of coraline on the rock it was attached to, but that wasnt important. I found that their was a little one that is starting to split off of it. I scored.
Is their anything special you give to them to keep them alive?

smoney

Finally a Pic of it, you can see the small one budding off.

My Black Goby chillin in the Yellow Figi Leather

zoie2

Wow, that's beautiful!! In my book it says leather coral need to be in enough flow to help shed their skin. Don't know if that helps, but that sure is pretty.

T

thomas712

I have a frag of the same coral. I like it alot. So far I have used DTs phytoplankton, cyclopezee and have just started a new diet tonight of oyster eggs. I was watching the yellow sarc when my wife exclaimed for me to watch the tan leather with the sweeping tentacles, each end of the tentacles litterally opend up to show the white and yellow dot on the inside, it was amazing the feeding response it had.
Not the best shot but best I could do running to get the camera, and this was a few minutes after feeding and I thought about it the camera.
I'll get one of the yellow sarc tommorow.

smoney

Thanks for the comments guys. Hey Thomas, what exactl did you use to make the polyps open up so wide? the stuff you are feeding them is what?

T

thomas712

Well thats not exactly open all the way, its a bit after so most of them have closed back up, but the tentacles were long and sweeping. I picked up some DTs oyster eggs and thought I would give them a try.
I used a straw to extract some from the jar.
DT's Natural Reef Diet Oyster Eggs
Oyster Eggs as a Coral Food Source
One of the difficulties in the maintenance of reef aquaria is the ability to provide consistent, nutritious and usable food resources that help to reproduce the large amount of particulate food or zooplankton available on natural reefs. Late in the summer of 2003, Dennis Tagrin, of DT's Plankton Farm, provided me with a food source he had been considering as a marketable product and asked for my analysis of its utility for reef aquaria.
Under the microscope, the cell density of the product was extremely high and the addition of 1mL of the eggs produced a high particle count in a 55-gallon reef tank (sufficient to feed every coral polyp several times over!). The eggs are approximately 40-50 microns in size, making them an excellent size for capture by corals and other filter feeding invertebrates.
These oyster eggs have a very good nutritional profile, and appear to maintain their nutritional value over long periods of frozen storage. The eggs have a strong "fresh ocean" smell, and elicit a strong feeding response from both fish and invertebrates. I greatly look forward to the regular availability of this product as a natural and beneficial plankton-subsitute for my other reef systems.
- Eric H. Borneman
These eggs are 40 to 50 microns in size. There are about 3,000,000 eggs per ml. Just one 1ml (1/5 tsp) will feed a heavily populated 50-75 gallon tank. Great for SPS coral polyps, especially acroporas. The eggs contain lots of Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA essential to your coral’s health. This is an excellent zooplankton substitute.
Highly nutritious & natural food for sps (small polyp stony) corals, gorgonians and other filter feeding invertebrates
Significant levels of protein and omega3 fatty acides, EPA & DHA
Remains suspended in the water column
No additives or preservatives
Highly concentrated! A little goes a long way.
The oyster eggs are 40 to 50 microns in size.
1 mL feeds 50 to 75 gallons.
1oz (30mL) bottle

smoney

I think I am going to try that stuff next time I go to the LFS, do they have them at lfs? how much do they run for about?

T

thomas712

My small bottle was $20.00. Seeminly expensive however like they say a little goes a very long way. Bottle suggests turning skimmer off for several hours after use.
Thomas

mrdc

Originally Posted by Thomas712
My small bottle was $20.00. Seeminly expensive however like they say a little goes a very long way. Bottle suggests turning skimmer off for several hours after use.
Thomas

I started using it a week ago and I paid $22. It's a little bottle but it should last awhile if I use it twice a week. I think 1/5 teaspoon per 50 gallons. The LFS guy says that a lot of his customers swear by it. I'm going to get some cyclo-peeze to add variety.

smoney

DT's Natural Reef Diet Oyster Eggs is the name of it right?
Dodgersfan- Not a chance, not even if you lived next to me, haha. I think Im going to give it to Milker.

smoney

Hey Thomas,
I have been to a few stores looking for this DT's Oyester eggs, and everyone looks at me funny when I ask them. Can you give me a link to a picture or a description of what it looks like?
Thanks a bunch,
Smoney

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Thomas712
yep definatly in the freezer section, if they have it.
I hope I find it locally because shipping cost more than the product due to the overnight and packing requirements. any other meaty nutritional substitutes of simular sized organisms? More readily available perhaps.