scorpion fish

F

fishrul11

Depending on the species, tanks can range from 30-150 gallons for scorpionfish or lionfish. In my opinion, dwarf lionfish are great for any tank 30 gallons or larger. Volitans, blackfoot, etc... tend to grow very fast and therefore need a tank of at least 75 gallons, but i would suggest more. Now the hard question, anglers
. Anglers tend to change color with surroundings making it increasingly difficult to identify. The only somewhat good choice is the sargrassum fish which stays relatively small, but has great personality. Best of luck!!!

texasmetal

As stated, it depends on what kind of Scorpionfish you are referring to. That's a big family of varied fish, of varied sizes. A Leaf Fish or Dwarf Lion would be fine in a 30. Rhinopias are amazing if you can get a larger tank, and pay $500 or more for one.
As for Anglers, a 30 gallon would do for Antennarius Maculatus (Warty Frogfish) or Histrio Histrio (Sargassum Angler), but you need a much larger tank for most others. Tiny Commerson Anglers or Painted Frogfish can sometimes look very similar to Warty's so you want to get it from a reliable source so you know what you're really getting. Otherwise it will grow up and make that 30 gallon look like a shoe box.
Either way, you're going to have to train whichever one you choose to eat frozen foods or you have a heck of a live food bill to look forward to.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
Rhinopias are amazing if you can get a larger tank, and pay $500 or more for one.
my LFS has one of these for sale for $350. how big of a tank do they need?

texasmetal

A 50 gallon or larger would probably be fine. They aren't very mobile. The only thing is that they may never accept anything other than live food, and they should be kept by themselves or with much larger peaceful fish. Ideal for a species only tank, much like an Angler.

vegas made

i have a toadfish in a 60 gallon he is just fine he is about 6" maybe 7" not aggresive at all pretty much minds his own business they are awesome to watch swim around

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
A 50 gallon or larger would probably be fine. They aren't very mobile. The only thing is that they may never accept anything other than live food, and they should be kept by themselves or with much larger peaceful fish. Ideal for a species only tank, much like an Angler.
ok... thanks.
i will not be buying him but i just thought that he was intresting. he has been in a 15 gallon tank with lost of macro at the LFS for about 2 months now and they dropped the price from $450 to $350. i kinda feel bad for him but i will not shell out $350 for him.