scorpion spittign out frozen food

nuro

ive had a local scorpion fish for several months now. hes been fed mostly frozen silverside with the occasional live feeder when in stock at my LFS. recently hes been spittign out the silversides and i dont know why. his behaviour hasnt changed and he still has an appitite becuase hes taking the silverside, then spittign it out a few minutes later. any ideas?

cranberry

How long have you had the silversides? If you had them for awhile it could be starting to become rancid.
Change the diet up. Buy something different. All my fish go nuts for Salmon. It may get him back on track. But change up his foods frequently or he'll be missing some essential vitamins/minerals/fats that he could be receiving with a more varied diet. I feed, Snapper, tuna, cod, scallops, shrimp.... absolutely everything.
Test your water as well. Mine will start spitting food if the nitrates climb. Even if they are within normal limits, a water change seems to help.

salty_sam

If you think the fish is in good heath and a water change dosent do the trick try some live gohst shrimp or live brine, you can buy a hatchery for live brine for practicly nothing(it smells a bit). as far as ghost shrimp go, the pet store i work at have a pretty constant supply, this varies from store to store, i feed many preditory fish these ghost shrimp and they all go absolutly nuts for it! it can get expencive expecialy for a full grown scorpion, its about 3.50 a dozen, you can also try table shrimp from any grociery store, frozen mysisis shrimp is also accepted by nearly everything it is offerd to
offer a varity of food to keep it nice and healthy good luck!

nuro

the silversides are a few monthes old, ill get some more and see if that helps. as far as nutrition goes, i feed live feeders and shrimp as often as possible and when not, i soke the silversides in rods food and vitachem.

cranberry

Don't feed feeder fish. What feeders were you using?
Try stuffing pellet food into the silverside or other fish flesh.

cranberry

Ohhhh....that's good feeder foods. Make sure you dip the fish in freshwater before feeding. I dip damsels for 20 minutes. Doesn't prevent transmitted parasites and diseases, but it at least reduces the risk.
Did you get new silversides?
Did you test your water for nitrates?