Scratch Resistand Acrylic? Anyone have it?

D

daniel411

Does anyone have scratch resistant acrylic on their tank?
If so, I have a few questions:
-When it does get scratched, and you buff/polish the scratch out. Can you still visibly see where the "scratch resistant" coating has been removed?
-Have you had it more than 3 years? So far thats the longest I know of one being used for saltwater.
-Can you notice "any" visible/clarity difference vs. acrylic without the coating?
Thanks

sa reef

All of the acrylic tanks I've ever heard of get scratched up. Plastic by nature is softer than glass so in the long run you will get marks on it. Also, "scratch resistant" doesn't mean scratch proof so I would be wary. I guess a fish only tank would work without any lr.

D

daniel411

I just found out about it a few months ago. AquArt offers it as an option on larger acrylic tanks. Acording to them, its only been available for acrylic aquariums for about three years. Mostly just actual large zoo/aquariums have started using it. Other than that, I don't know much more about it. They said it was an additional coating process. I didn't have time to speak more indepth about it when I called.

jarvis

hum sounds intresting. Keep us posted on it. Sounds like you are really going through with 480gal. Out of curriosity What kinda dimensions are you going with for that tank?

D

daniel411

The 480g that I'm looking at is 8' wide, 4' deep, and 2' tall.

donjasper

Originally posted by Daniel411
I didn't have time to speak more indepth about it when I called.

With the serious bread you're going to drop on this thing - considering the lighting and everything else - call them back and d*mn the long distance charges. If you need to dial 10-10 whatever to pay for the call - you ain't got the money to afford the new tank.