Scrubbing off hair algae

zero26

I really dont want to use chemicals to remove my hair algae. Is it ok to remove my LR, at a piece at a time and scrub the hair algae off?
Should I mix up some SW to dip when I am scrubbing, or can I scrub it and just get the brush wet with some FW?

flower

Originally Posted by zero26
http:///forum/post/3090455
I really dont want to use chemicals to remove my hair algae. Is it ok to remove my LR, at a piece at a time and scrub the hair algae off?
Should I mix up some SW to dip when I am scrubbing, or can I scrub it and just get the brush wet with some FW?

There are no chemicals to remove hair algae that I know of...Yes scrub each rock, but only in saltwater, freshwater will kill the critters that live on the rock.
You need to figure out why you have hair algae out of control or it will come back. So scrub the rock, get a good CUC with a lawnmower blenny and or (depends on tank size) a Kole tang. These will help eat any algae that trys to grow back, but you have to scrub the rock first so they have a head start.
Be careful not to over feed the tank and rinse frozen foods before you feed. Run your skimmer and do small water changes, rinsing your filter pads in saltwater not fresh.

zero26

I have really been considering API's Algaefix marine. Not sure what it would do to my chaeto though!

loopy101

chemicals may work on getting rid of algea but its not a long lasting fix and could potentionally do alot more harm then any good. best way is to find the out the problem like flower stated.

flpriest

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3090503

There are no chemicals to remove hair algae that I know of...Yes scrub each rock, but only in saltwater, freshwater will kill the critters that live on the rock.
You need to figure out why you have hair algae out of control or it will come back. So scrub the rock, get a good CUC with a lawnmower blenny and or (depends on tank size) a Kole tang. These will help eat any algae that trys to grow back, but you have to scrub the rock first so they have a head start.
Be careful not to over feed the tank and rinse frozen foods before you feed. Run your skimmer and do small water changes, rinsing your filter pads in saltwater not fresh.
I agree!!

125intx

Get a lawn mower bleny, my tank was covered and after the bleny hit it I was algae free in less than a week