Scruber vs Phosban

shtank

Im thinking about buying a phosphate reactor.
Will a DIY turf algae scruber do the same thing. If so it sound better than having to buy phosban all the time.
Also how often do you have to change the media?
55gal
20sump
Thanks for any input.

jdl

do both, then when your scrubber is doing all the work switch the phosban/gfo to carbon, so now you have a carbon reactor.

pezenfuego

Scrubbers generally have a higher capital investment and an equal amount of maintenance. Turf scrubbers take a lot longer to actually start working and phosban reactors seem to work almost immediately.
I would recommend a turf algae filter over a phosban reactor, but I would get both since phosphate reactors are plug and play and also fairly cheap.
My two cents. Take it with 35 ppt of salt.

toomanytoys

i recently got a phos reactor to combat my algae problem it has been on about a month and i have changed the media 3 times already but the algae seems to be receding , i was told once it is under control i will only have to change it a 2-3 times a year.
i thought about a scrubber too but all the monkin around with it didnt seem all that appealing to me

todj2002

im all for the scrubber. i only clean mine every 2 weeks and it only takes a couple minutes. since i installed it my nitrates and phosphates decreased to 0 and have not changed. i would not have a system without one, i firmly believe in the scruber. my .02 cents.

fish h20

I say scrubber. It is a more natural cure. If set up right, takes less than 5 min. to clean and put back together. Does a reactor help nitrates? I know a scrubber does.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by fish h20
http:///forum/post/3037435
I say scrubber. It is a more natural cure. If set up right, takes less than 5 min. to clean and put back together. Does a reactor help nitrates? I know a scrubber does.
That is another good point. If you are getting a reactor for both nitrates and phosphates, you will need bot nitrate and phosphate removers. A scrubber will do both.