scuba

claire_r

:santa:
Are there many scuba divers out there? I got certified about a year and a half ago and love it! This summer I got to dive in the Liviing Seas exhibit at Disney World:joy: In Jan. I'm going to Crystal River to snorkel with manatees and do a couple of dives with the local club. It's just such an amazing experience, being under the water in this whole other world. As a mother of 2 and a teacher, the quiet is wonderful1
claire

tru conch

i was certified at 12. i grew up in key largo, so i took full advantage of the surrounding reefs.
at 14 i was working at a local dive shop and progressed to Divemaster. one of these days i will get my instructor
sounds like you have the "scuba bug" diving is lots of fun and there are some amazing places to go diving! have fun and stay stoked.

claire_r

tru conch,
Wow! How great to have so many opportunities to dive! It's a little tougher here in IN. Lucky me...I get hooked on diving and saltwater fish, 2 pretty expensive hobbies from here! Luv em anyhow! Good luck with your instructor cert.
claire:happy:

dvs

I got certified about 6 years ago. The keys are nice. Were going to Cabo in March. I cant wait. Ive heard theres some really nice spots.

I got certified about 19 years ago, and did the commercial diving thing in the gulf.
Freshwater diving is awesome, but the frist time you spend a few minutes on a reef, or a rig...it seems like diving in a puddle.
I haven't blown a bubble in 3 years, been reef keeping since then. I miss it.
Always next summer I guess...(sigh).

N

newreefers

I have been certified for about 13 years, I did the Crystal River thing with the manatees. A couple of comments for you, make sure you have a good snorkel, the bubbles from your reg somewhat scare the manatees and they will come right up to you if you are snorkeling instead. Also, take a camera!!!!! I had some great photo shots. A mother alowed her baby to play with us, and of course had no fear of us and we spent a good hour with it.
Have Fun!!!!!
PS Take a wet suit, that water is really cold.

claire_r

Thanks for the tips, newreefer! I'm really looking forward to the trip. The group from my local dive shop goes every year and it's pretty affordable. My husband "gave" me the trip as a Christmas present.
I know that we're going to snorkel with the manatees. I can't wait to see the momma's and their calves! As for the camera, I don't have any underwater photog. gear, so I'm planning to bring a couple of those 1-time use waterproof cameras. Think that'll work? Also, I know that some other people will have cameras and I figured I'd beg them a little to take shots for me.
Rangermonroe: Plan on it for next year and you'll do it! It's too great an experience to give it up!
claire:D :D

fishzen

You’ve got to try this; plan a night dive, make sure everyone has those chemical iridescent lights that look like a stick, at a pre determined depth turn off all the other lights….then look around, everything is pitch black, the only lights are the iridescent ones, that is one eerie feeling.

reptifish

im a cert. junior instructor i have been all over the world the absoluted best dive i ever did was in knigston jamacia where i came face to face with a nurse shark. also there i held a 7 foot green moray eel it was soo much fun . one time on a night dive everyones lights went out except one person outa a group of five so we all folloewd the "magical" light lol i love scuba diving i am going to get nitrox cert in a few months too

blemmy_guy

im a diver, but i only go once a yr anymore! My dad owned a dive shop my hole life, so i kinda grew up with a regulator in my mouth :) cozumel is my favorite place to go, i try to go there once a yr, my first diving was in key west, i lived there when i was 5 yrs old, then moved back to oklahoma, where i mostly dived lakes
, till i got in my teens, thats when dad started taking me on all his diving trips, they were a blast, so anyway, its a great sport, enjoy it!! todd

nickfish

I got certified about 6 months ago and I have never had a good dive
When I was getting certified in panama city the current was so bad 2 people got swept away and when diving in gulf shores about 4 months ago i had an equipment malfunction.