Scum Problem, Please Help!

berrya

Over the past few months, we have been developing this stubborn scum in our tank. It is that clear greenish-coloured film that covers the glass, and it just will not go away!
We have to scrape our tank every few hours to keep the glass clean. Despite scrubbing our liverock off of green scum AND doing a thorough vacuuming of the substrate it continues to reappear. Because of the poor water quality this is causing we have already lost our Blenny and an anemone.
Even phosphate remover hasn't helped our problem. We are out of ideas and don't want to loose any more livestock. Please help!

dragonzim

You may want to post this in the New Hobbyist section...
What kind of stock list do you have and how much do you feed?

flower

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3127728
You may want to post this in the New Hobbyist section...
What kind of stock list do you have and how much do you feed?

+1...also is your tank near a window? Natural sunlight is the feeder of green algae scum. If that is the case...block the tank when the sunlight is shinning on it. I used a piece of decretive wall panel cut to fit, and attached it with Velcro so I could remove it after the time past when the sun would shine across the tank..

darthtang aw

how long are your lights on? When was your last water change? how much sunlight does the tank get, how long has the tank been set up?

socal57che

What does your skimmate look like?
What and how often do you feed?
What's your water change schedule?
Do you use a canister filter?
I'm thinking high dissolved solid content.
PS...if you fill out your profile with the details of your tank, it's inhabitants, filtration, lighting and foods it will help us when you ask questions. Most everything can be tracked by or traced to water quality.

berrya

Most recent water change: last week
Not in direct sunlight
Lights on for 12 hours/day
Food varies; a range of squid, mysis shrimp & brine shrimp
Use RO water
Avg temp- 29 degrees C

darthtang aw

Lights are on to long in my opinion. 6-8 hours is sufficient in my experience. You also may be overfeeding contributing to it as well. The combination of the two would make for an algae factory...especially when it gets going. You feed mainly meaty foods and when they break down (that which is not eaten) they pollute the water more so than flakes and pellets.
what type of clean up crew do you have in the tank?