SCWD Broke

robchuck

So, I get home from work this afternoon and notice that my return water is only coming from the right side. It stays this way for much longer than the normal switching period, so I decide to pull the SCWD off. I was pretty sure that the problem wasn't from calcium buildup, because I regularly soak it in vinegar. When I rinsed it out, some black junk came rushing out. I looked at it closer and determined it to be some ROWAphos that escaped from my Phosban reactor when the bottom sponge slipped and pushed the media to the top of the reactor earlier this week. I'm not sure how it got there as I thought I had siphoned out all of the spilled ROWA after the incident.
Oh well. I never really liked the head pressure that the SCWD and the 3/4" plumbing put on the return pump (Mag 9.5), so I'm off to Lowes to pick up some 1" PVC and redo my return.

robchuck

The SCWD was great for about 6 months for me, but I like having more flow without it plumbed into the system.

squidd

Get a bigger pump...pressure rated so it can handle it without straining and Keep the intake clean...
There are a lot of people who have been running SCWDs for longer than 6 months a pop...

crash519

Mine died in about 2 months:mad: I've still got to put my new one back on, but I did like the way it worked. I'm using a Doplhin DP900 on a closed loop and I can't complain about the head loss. It stills blows crap everywhere in my 58.

jeepboy

The one I had didn't quit but started to switch slowly and I don't dose kalk. If the new 1" scwd is priced similar to the current scwd, I'll buy one and give them another try.