SCWD - Stopped alternating!

buzz

Title says it all...It was working fine, and one day I came home, and the return was a constant flow out of one side only. I pulled my return apart, and ran some fresh water through the SCWD, and now it is a constant flow out of both sides. But it doesn't alternate!
Anyone else ever had this problem?

robchuck

Was it making any clicking noises before it stopped working? That's what happened with mine, and it stopped working shortly after that. When I was cleaning the SCWD, a little bit of gunk came out. I rinsed it out really good, and it has worked properly ever since.

buzz

Not sure. I wasn't around when it stopped working. Maybe I'll try cleaning it even more....:notsure:

squidd

They seem to be rather finicky with any grit or obstruction...
The instructions recommend a pre filter on the intake...I'm thinking almost like a sponge rather than a screen...
My first SCWD lasted about a day...switching fine and then next day one side only...
When I removed it from the system I could hear abunch of parts "rattling" around inside...either something let loose or something got in there and busted her up good...
LFS replaced it and the second one was running good for about 6 weeks...then I came home to find one sided flow again..
This time I took it off line and was able to "clear" it by running water back through the outlet and freeing the "mechanisim"...I did soak it in vinegar in case there was any calcium carbonate build up..
Been working good last two weeks...
I DO run a pre filter sponge on it so it must be something real "fine" getting in there...
I do like what it does for the tank though, so I just installed a second unit on my 210...(with prefilter)

aarone

mijne doesnt work anymore either...it sort of just comes out one side more than the other at the same time. I wont be buying another one.

jeepboy

I removed my SCWD also. It was still switching, but at a very slow rate compared to when I first set it up.

cincyreefer

How many gph is everyone running on them? I have found that if you don't have enough pressure through them then they stop "changing" a lot easier.

squidd

Good point Cincy, I wanted to bring that up earlier, but I haven't had alot of time on my SCWDs to make that call yet...
I run a T3...875@0' I figure about 670 actual from the closed loop on my 54 and a T4...1225@3' I figure about 989 actual from the closed loop on my 210...Both pumps are "pressure rated" and not "circulation rated"and run 1" inlet and full 3/4" I.D. outlet line.
(Figuring "restriction loss" and "head loss")
But these two are switching at 5 seconds and 4 seconds respectively...

buzz

Maybe I'll try the vinegar bath. I had mine running for a few weeks only when it stopped alternating.

jdogg2432

I've only had mine for a little while, but am very happy with it. I've noticed that it's added alot of variety to my water movement.

cincyreefer

I run mine at 700 gph and have never had any problems in the 11 months I have used both. I think the manufacturer recommends between 600-900 gph but I might be a little off... If's been awhile since I have had to mess with one.