Sea Babes

rubberduck

ok can i get any info on the essintials(sp?) to keeping seahorses, i have checked out seahorse.org and its coool but i would like to hear just the basics from here.
thx TRAVIS

ophiura

This is a topic that has been covered many times, so you may wish to use the search function. Then be specific on what you want to do, what size tank, what experience you have, how you plan on providing for food, etc. It is easier for people to reply to narrow questions than really broad one's. Definitely search for seahorses to start and see what you find there. That will help, at least, until other people chime in.

harlequinnut

With keeping seahorses, it is better to have a smaller tank than a big tank. Figure about a 20g with about 3 or so ponies. You should set up shop to raise your own brine shrimp since most seahorses are picky eaters and require live food and frequent feeding. The smaller size tank keeps the food more concentrated and makes it easier for the seahorses to feed. It should be a seahorse only tank with no other fish to compete for food. Also since it's a smaller tank, you'll have to be careful with the water parameters and water changes. JMO HTH

harlequinnut

Sounds ok, just make sure it's a seahorse only tank and provide plenty of objects for the seahorse to hook onto like fake branching corals, etc. Keep the water flow to a minimum.