Sea Betta

mrme123

I just bought a sea betta yesterday. My tank is about 2 years old. I have a blue hippo tang, a koran angle fish and a clown fish. I added him to the tank and he keeps hiding. Only swims a few inches away from the live rock and hides again. The fish store was feeding him freeze dried krill so I bought some. But i can get him to come out and eat. What should I do?

M

markeo99

give him a day or two before I would really worry takes some time to get comfortable

N

nereef

marine bettas hide a lot, especially in a new environment. it should peak its head out in a couple days.

ironeagle2006

Also get it OFF the freeze dried stuf ASAP. Feed it mysis shrimp and also the one I had LOVED Marine Cusine. Also for a treat everynow and then I would feed him some LIVE ghost shrimp or some Saltwater Mollies my LFS had a tank set up with them and my Carnivores loved them.

N

nereef

freeze dried food is fine, imo. though if only freeze dried food is offered, problems like constipation can occur.

mrme123

Yes this is in my 55. He just peaks his head here and there. I just don't want him to die. For one he cost me $60. And he adds more to my tank so I how he swims about

mrme123

Are you guys sure nothing is wrong with him? I put him in the tank about this time yesterday. He is still hiding. I just turned off the lights to see if that helps him at all.

A

alexmir

A fish hiding for a few days, especially one like a marine betta that hides alot anyway, is normal. I wouldnt worry about him yet

bioneck47

Marine betta's are very shy when first introduced and don't really like fast swimmers like tangs and angels, especially in a small 55. I hope you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the near future as the koran and blue hippo need a lot more room as they get bigger.
After 3 weeks I had to move my betta into a tank by himself just to get him to start eating. You can try feeding gut loaded ghost shrimp to fight the hunger strike and hopefully he'll start eating frozen foods after that.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Mrme123
http:///forum/post/2718129
he ate!! And he is out a little bit. I am going to get a 150 gal with my bonus check.
Buy some patience with it.
Many fish will go a week or more without eating. The upgrade is a good move; if your tang & angel are small, you're ok for a short time. But you will soon be seriously over-stocked in a 55.

mrme123

As time goes on, will this come out of hidingm more? I can get him to eat now, but other then that he stays hidden all day

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Mrme123
http:///forum/post/2719359
As time goes on, will this come out of hidingm more? I can get him to eat now, but other then that he stays hidden all day
Give him some time; you've only had him for 3 days, and these are shy fish . I've had fish I didn't even see for longer than this.

bioneck47

For the most part marine bettas hang out under rocks or in dark areas of the tank. Mine only comes out if I come up to the tank.