Sea Clone Skimmer

osb

I've already read that Sea Clone skimmers are not a favorite around here. My question is, is a Sea Clone for the time being better than no skimmer at all? If so, can anyone recomend one that would be good to start, without breaking the bank. This is for a 100g, w/ sump. The tank is coming on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

jd

I was also looking at a sea clone, and was reccomended multiple times, to just save a little while longer and get a good one, youll spend more upgrading your system later on
I got my Aqua C remora for 130 bucks, should be here saturdya

mbrands

Originally posted by JD
I got my Aqua C remora for 130 bucks, should be here saturdya

Thats a great price! Used?
I don't think there is a SeaClone that is even rated for a 100 gallon tank, but I could be wrong. I'd also suggest waiting another few weeks, save your money, then buy a decent skimmer.

vito525

I had a seaclone and AquaC Remora. The seaclone took forever to get set up right and when I got it set up and disturbed the tank it took another 2 days to get it right. The AquaC does the same thing. If I disturb the tank by adding water, cleaning the cup, or moving a rock. If freaks out and the microbubbles start snowing. But the AquaC settles down after a few hours, not days. The both produce bubbles, I have never seen an instance were no bubbles at all. The main difference I have seen between the two is the quality of the skimmage with the aquaC outperforming the seaclone by a mile. IMO The seaclone is OK for now but upgrade to an AquaC in the future.

vito525

If you haven't already purchased a Seaclone....A famous website is a good place to pick up an AquaC Remora. Make sure you get the Maxi_Jet 1200 Powerhead and not the Rio

tangmaster

I have a 150 on my 180
and a 100 on my 55
NO PROBS.
I think the few bubbles are nice in addition to the GREAT benefit you get from the added OXYGEN!!!!

trainfever

I got a Jebo 2003 that came with a 528GPH pump for less than 50 bucks delivered. I got it from that unmentionable auction sight. Actually it was 25+13 for shipping. So far it is working great.

mbrands

Originally posted by TangMaster
I think the few bubbles are nice in addition to the GREAT benefit you get from the added OXYGEN!!!!

Microbubbles don't add oxygen to the water. The oxygen exchange process takes place when the water's surface is disturbed. So I guess, technically, when they reach the surface and rupture they are adding oxygen. However, the amount added is insignificant ("micro" bubbles) compared to what a powerhead would be (and hopefully is) doing for your water.

tangmaster

the bubbles break the surface when they enter the system therefore creating a beneficial oxygen supply. I have done a ton of research on oxygen/surface exchange. You would be amazed. I have a 2 gallon fountain in my kitchen with just a tiny MICRO pump to make a trickle. I have had 2 goldfish in it for over a year. the oxygen is coming as a result of the open space. Notice the ocean has no under water power heads. The surface currents only reach up to approx 50ft deep. SO what about the life under THAT?? Huge surface area forces the water to oxygenate. That's why you never lose fish due to lack of oxygen in bigger surface area sysytems. Interesting how it all works together...THE GREAT CREATOR IS AWSOME INDEED!

mbrands

Originally posted by TangMaster
Notice the ocean has no under water power heads.

I wasn't suggesting using the powerhead to create an underwater current, but rather to direct its flow towards the water surface to creates waves on the surface. The ocean does this thanks to the gravitational force of the moon . . . waves/tides.
I also wasn't disagreeing about microbubbles adding oxygen to the water, but rather stating my opinion that more oxygen is added through disrupting the surface with a powerhead than from microbubbles.
Using your own argument, the ocean doesn't have any devices adding microbubbles to the water . . . it all happens with waves and tides.

X

xoxox

The only good Sxclone is a modified Sxclone
(and thats on a 20L)

X

xoxox

Originally posted by OSB
I've already read that Sea Clone skimmers are not a favorite around here. My question is, is a Sea Clone for the time being better than no skimmer at all? If so, can anyone recomend one that would be good to start, without breaking the bank. This is for a 100g, w/ sump. The tank is coming on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

If you have a sump, I would suggest a sump skimmer. The footprint area of the sump will give you an idea what you would need. Don't skimp on the skimmer, get a decent one for a 100 gal tank. Do a search , there are many good ones.