Sea Fan

spnohio

I bought two seas fans over a month ago, one hasn't been out for a week but the other is always out. Could the see fan be dead?

texasmetal

Originally Posted by spnohio
http:///forum/post/2830439
I bought two seas fans over a month ago, one hasn't been out for a week but the other is always out. Could the see fan be dead?
You would probably get more of a response in the coral forum.
Any idea what kind of sea fan you have? Species name? That will determine what kind of placement they need in the tank. Some do well on the sand, some need to be placed so that they are sticking out into the water column.
If they are non-photosynthetic they may last a few months but in general don't last long in captivity due to the lack of nutrients in the water. They require lots of food which in turn decays the water quality which in turn destroys the gorgonian because they get covered in slime or hair algae.
If it's photosynthetic, just place them somewhere in medium flow and good lighting and wait. If they don't open up for several days, move them to another location in the tank, higher flow/lower flow, more light/less light, until you find it's happy spot.
Most photosynthetic gorgs are brown with brown polyps. There are also some nice pretty purple ones though. They tend to be Atlantic species.
Most non-photosynthetic gorgs are yellow, red, orange, with pretty colored or white polyps. These tend to be Pacific species.
I would suggest doing some research on what kind you have and go from there.