sea hare

ams153

i had what i believe is a sea hare come with some live rock that was in a tank at a fish store and i just want to know some info about them. like what they eat are they poisonous and if so how poisonous? how cn i best car for this sea slug? any info would be great thanx!

fedukeford

im pretty sure they only eat algea, if its a smaller tank it will porbley starve eventually, not sure if they are poisonus

smoney

They are algae chopping machines, if you dont have alot of algae they will starve. I would suggest algae sheets that will keep him alive.

ams153

ok i actually have him in an empty 75.. would algae pellets work too? i have some of those and want to keep him alive till i can give it to a friend who has a reef tank b/c i have a shark tank and the 75 needs to come down soon just not enough room!

smoney

I think that should be fine. I found this information on them.
The body of the Sea Hare is a combination of speckles and patterns. The location of its rhinophores (motion sensors) and its oral tentacles make it look a bit like a rabbit, hence its common name.
If it becomes startled, it may release a purple dye to repel attacking fish. In the home aquarium, the Sea Hare will need a good chemical filter system to quickly remove this toxic dye before it causes problems.
In the wild, it is usually found in shallow areas of seagrasses and coral rubble, preferring the shaded areas. Cover from the lights in the aquarium should be provided. It requires a large area in which to move. It prefers an aquarium with live rock and open sandy areas so that it can graze on algae, eating any Caulerpa in the tank. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and will not tolerate bad water conditions (high nitrates).
If regular feedings of Caulerpa are not possible, it will need a supplemented diet of parboiled lettuce and dried kelp.

ams153

hmmm.. very cool ill just get her to get some caulerpa out of her refugium ever once in a while for it.. thanks for the info!

anthropo

from everything i've read about the sea hare, the ink they shoot out is not toxic but they say just to be on the safe side to do a water change anyways. also sea hares like calm waters with lots of macroalgae

ams153

thanks for the info! there really cool looking things they really do remind me of a rabbit!

i likefish

i have a sea hare in a 30 gal and as long as you have good algae growth a not a lot of current it will be fine.Only if it is stressed it will shoot out a non poinious red ink.

ams153

cool.. there is lot of algae growing.. so it may be fine in the tank.. i guess well have to see! thanks for all the info!