sea hares? anyone know anything?

kayak385

I have a slight hair algae problem and from what i've been told, with all the inverts and such that are in my tank that the sea hare is the last straw in getting rid of hair algae.
what are the pros and cons to having a sea hare? i have a peaceful tank.

baloo6969

Dude, if you have a *Peaceful* tank, like i do...there amazing.
The pro's are they eat at night(generally) and they take care of your hair problem in a week or 2...once he/she get's use to your tank. mine took 2 weeks for it to unbury itself.
the cons are the need to eat a lot, meaning your need a lot(or some) of hair algae to eat, It will eat many types of algae's but once your hair problem is gone...it will starve if there is not enough food for it. so make sure the LFS will take it back after a month or 2...also there life expectancy isn’t that long, something of just over a year...i hear(not sure if that's true)

kayak385

Originally Posted by baloo6969
Dude, if you have a *Peaceful* tank, like i do...there amazing.
The pro's are they eat at night(generally) and they take care of your hair problem in a week or 2...once he/she get's use to your tank. mine took 2 weeks for it to unbury itself.
the cons are the need to eat a lot, meaning your need a lot(or some) of hair algae to eat, It will eat many types of algae's but once your hair problem is gone...it will starve if there is not enough food for it. so make sure the LFS will take it back after a month or 2...also there life expectancy isn’t that long, something of just over a year...i hear(not sure if that's true)
I have crushed coral... will that impose a problem?

baloo6969

I don’t have CC, so I can’t answer it. In fact I’m not too knowledgeable about CC, i guess if you could keep a star in CC then you could have a slug.

92protruck

mine eats algae sheets. I have had him in two different tanks bare bottom and sand. I doubt cc makes any difference.

bellanavis

CC will not make a diffrence, they will also eat seafood, accualy, they will eat anything that fish will. Very peacefull, I love mine.

djhippie

i had one for about 1 month my Nassarius snails attacked him one day, he let out this crazy purple ink and they kept attacking him untill he finely died.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by kayak385
I have a slight hair algae problem and from what i've been told, with all the inverts and such that are in my tank that the sea hare is the last straw in getting rid of hair algae.
last straw? not true.
rather than rely on a sea hare to rid yourself of hair algae, you need to find the source and eliminate it.
have you tested your phosphates?
how about lighting? new bulbs? old bulbs?
how about water source?
what i did to beat my hair algae is i cut back my lighting drastically, and reduced my feedings.
i also (which i dont recommend) stopped doing water changes. my source for ro water was the culprit.
i grabbed 4 mexi-turbos and in 6 weeks i went from covered to spotless.
problem with hair aglae is that there are often many variables that are causing it.

reefforbrains

they are garbage trucks and can consume monsterous amounts of waste. But they also are light bulldozers if you have a reef, be ready for toppled corals and imagine a slug the size of a small potato roaming around your tank. Curious little critters the way they wag thier head and some move pretty quick so they are good to watch. (yes "quick" and "slug" in same description, its relative)

kayak385

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
last straw? not true.
rather than rely on a sea hare to rid yourself of hair algae, you need to find the source and eliminate it.
have you tested your phosphates?
how about lighting? new bulbs? old bulbs?
how about water source?
what i did to beat my hair algae is i cut back my lighting drastically, and reduced my feedings.
i also (which i dont recommend) stopped doing water changes. my source for ro water was the culprit.
i grabbed 4 mexi-turbos and in 6 weeks i went from covered to spotless.
problem with hair aglae is that there are often many variables that are causing it.
My lighting is Single Sattelite 2x65, bought in Nov, 06.
Phosphates are stable. My water source has been the same the whole time. Lights are on 10hr a day. I'll turn them down to 9, then 8 to let the fish get used to it.
The rock with the hair algae on it came from my girlfriends tank and the inverts haven't done much to reduce it.
I'll get my RO water from Wild Oats, they should have some good water.
I only have 3 corals, plate, polyps, and mushrooms.

bellanavis

My seahares do not mess with the corals, they did just knock over a mushroom rock by accident though, lol. What else would you like to know about them?

wright824

i am getting one tuesday. i am hoping it will take care of my hair algae. i really don't want to tear apart my rock work and disrupt my mushrooms and polyps. i just got them. i don't think it would do them any good to up set them so soon. I was also told to cut my light back by half until the algea is gone

bellanavis

I did not drip mine, I floated them for like a half an hour, then opened the bag, put a little tank water in it, floated another half hour, then put more tank water in, then I pulled them out a half an hour later and put them in the tank.

baloo6969

drip...i swear i lost one one time because of not doing it...pluss it cant hurt to slowly acc ANYTHING...infact it's the best thing to do.

symon

Drip drip drip! That;s the only way to acclimate a critter to your tank! Also remember to keep your lights off , it allows new critters to enter whiel others are sleeping !