sea horse question?

yelllowtang

Is it true that sea horses like small tanks?
I want to have 2 pairs so how big of a tank do you think i need?
I heard they like small tank because its easier to catch their food.
;)
Thank's to anybody with info. :p

frenchman

Well... I never had seahorses and I wish more experienced people to answer but as far as I know:
- they need constantly food in the tank (therefore small tank may be OK)
- they need perfect water condition
- they need something to hatch on
- they are OK in tall tanks (when you look at pro aquariums, you will see sea horses most of the time in tall-vertical tanks)
- they do not seem to cohabitate easily
Again, these are just observations. I'll let the pro answers ;) Just keep us posted on how you decided to go. I'd be interested to know. :p

aquaman2

if your thinking of sea horses get captive raised ones, i know were to find them give me your e-mail and i will tell you

flydan

Hey,
I have no experience with sea horses but I do know that they are difficult to keep so please do a lot of research before you attempt to keep them. I do know that they need to be fed live food like 3-4 times a day. (Something about not having a stomach to store food.) So you will have to have real good filtration to keep your water perfect.
Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.
Take care,
Dan'l :D

alianated

Most people here are replying from the 'old school' era.
This is VERY important:
Pretty much everything said here as far as difficulty and hard to keep, etc are referring to the OLD DAYS. It all APPLIES to WILD CAUGHT seahorses.
However, having said that, I know for a FACT that a certain web site retailer breeds captive bred seahorses that do VERY well even in NEWBIE hands.
When I got my tank a friend of mine that did NO research, NO reading, and NO real commitment purchased a kit at a website that included a 10 gallon hex and seahorses. The tank came first with complete set up. Then 2 weeks later (so much for perfected water conditions) the sea horses come by mail.
These suckers are DIFFERENT from ANY seahorse I have ever seen. They understand 'feeding time'. Unlike any other seahorse I have ever seen, these go into a 'Feeding Frenzy' at lunch time.
Remember, this person (for those who have been to my site, KLUE is the person - the "k' at the bottom of my site is for his name) Had NEVER done anything salt water. But so far so good, and those suckers look great!!
It is true, those guys eat like PIGS. Get ready to feed them 2 - 3 times a day. His prefer those shrimp (cant think of the name right now, but it starts with an M)
They do NOT prefer smaller tanks, but they seem fine in the 10 gallon. What they DO need is a vertical tank. Seahorses swim more up and down than left and right. And if you wanna try and breed them, then they have to have a good lenght upwards. (They swim upwards during courtship) They DO require things to latch on to. (IE: that spiny coral stuff with lots of branches)
And do NOT have strong powerheads in there.. think of them like Jelly fish bobbing along in the water. A stong power head will blast them against the walls of the tank.
Hope this helps
:)
alianated www.alianated.com

yelllowtang

Aquaman2 my emil is crazycat4660@earthlink.net
And allianated on the bottom of you reply it says your from sacramento and i live in napa
not too far from sacto I used to live there.
But anyway email me the web site.
Thank's :p

alianated

Wow!! Cool!!
We outta hook up some time and hit some of the stores.. there are only two good ones out here tho.. :(

alianated

yeah aqua.. hehe
i remembered as soon as I hit "ADD REPLY" and then thought about posting a second post right underneath to say it and got lazy and figured, "Bah. he'll know what I mean" lol
btw.. when I say get ready to feed alot, I saw a seahorse take over 20 of those suckers down in a feedning. (granted, it was a large seahorse, but still, lol.. that sucker could down like a mad man!)