Sea Horses & Dieseases

teresaq

Rykna, e-mail me sometime, we can talk horses, and if you have any questions we can talk direct. m0m24@earthlink dot net
Also here is a list of meds
Have these meds on hand at all times:
Neomycin and triple sulfa (or Neo3)
Diamox
Triple antibiotic or Biobandage
Methylene Blue
Betadine
IV catheter sleeve 18-24 gauge
Recommended often:
Metronidazole (flagyl)
Formalin

ophiura

Originally Posted by pete159
I think the mods on this board need to stop acting like the gestapo :mad: . .
(Aside: I am sorry Rykna, you obviously didn't intend this to happen. You have a very valid question. But I can't let this comment go by...)
Here is what I think:
I think you need to study up on history if you can in any way equate removing a link to another site to the "gestapo." Honestly, quite an insult to compare a link being deleted to people who were rounded up by the millions by the gestapo, kept in "protective custody" of course, and killed by gasing, starvation or other because of their faith.
I think that is a bit off base, and it ticks me off. I'm not going to ignore it.
Deal with this irrelevant issue....or know there are many other boards to go to

So forget the links, please watch the comparisons you make. You don't get freedom to insult or degrade others because you don't get your link posted.
It is not my *job* to delete these links. We are not paid to do it.
It is my responsibility to delete these links, because I volunteer to help.
I like this board because of all the many I have participated on, I think it has one of the best communities. I don't always like deleting them myself...there is very good info out there. But if you think about it, there are work arounds to help people get their information just the same. Maybe through a book, maybe through sharing your own experience, or other ways. It may be more of a mental challenge, but I know most people are up to it.

woolfe

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Sorry Rykna, I don't think any of the mods here keep Seahorses so we're of limited assistance to you. You might try this book
As for those of you who have complaints about links.. please remember this is a companie's website. Of course links to sites associated with competition should be and will be edited.
SWF is a great company that has given us a great resource. The least we, as a community, can do is show some respect and loyalty to them.

If I'm not mistaken the site I think everyone's talking about does not sell anything. It also doesn't advertise for anyone. Just an awesome place for information.

woolfe

Here you go! Just a little info for you. Hope it helps.
People have been asking in emergency lately about how to avoid common problems. This is what I would personally suggest based on the problems I see most often and what makes the difference between successful treatments and failed ones. Some of it is covered in the care guide but it’s worth repeating. NB this is aimed at the larger species (ie. Not H.zosterae etc) though many points still apply.
Don’t keep seahorses at the top end of the temperature ranges for the species. 76 is about the highest I would recommend for tropicals.
Don’t skip quarantine (full 8 weeks for WCs, combined with prophylactic antiprotozoan/antiparasitic treatment)
When buying a CB seahorse from a hobbyist, don’t assume it is disease free, as you would from a breeder.
Supplement frozen mysis with carotenoids (astaxanthin powder, vibrance etc).
Don’t allow your SH to breed continually all year without a break
Don’t move a potentially sick seahorse to a display tank because it appears “lonely”. Seahorses can quite happily be housed alone for extended periods.
Isolate a SH displaying symptoms of a bacterial infection immediately
Make sure your powerheads are safe and that the seahorses can't get their tails caught
If you want to minimise risk, especially as a new keeper:
Don’t mix captive bred and wild caught seahorses
If you can, keep single species tanks
Make sure you have the following on hand, at all times:
Neomycin and sulfas
Gentamycin
Diamox (acetazolamide)
Beta glucan
A catheter/cannula or similar for tube feeding, pouch flushes etc
Clove oil / MS-222 or similar (anaesthetic)
A hospital tank
Enough salt mix to do large water changes
Test kits for ammonia, nitrite, PH and oxygen
A refractometer to measure SG for hyposalinity
….and ideally a spare cycled filter
Base a diagnosis on the entire circumstances, not on symptoms alone (popeye doesn’t necessarily mean gas supersaturation, a thin seahorse does not necessarily have enteric parasites, etc). Buy a book on fish disease. Bassleer’s one is very cheap and a good introduction. Don’t use medications for conditions they are not designed to treat.
When posting in emergency, include all the information at the start, a clear picture, and tank parameters in full.
Have suitable live foods to hand when acclimating recently shipped seahorses and when treating for sickness
Don’t keep SH with unsuitable tankmates (yes, people do, and sometimes successfully, but that in my opinion is based on luck rather than judgement and at the very least it can lead to compromising optimal husbandry parameters for both species of animal)
Don’t skip parts of treatment advice, or change the dosages, or mix advice from different people.
Monitor ammonia, pH and o2 in hospital tanks - it can change quickly in a small body of water
Feed beta glucan during treatments, QT, after moves, during heatwaves, or at any time the SHs may have been exposed to disease.
If your fish is showing symptoms of disease, treat as soon as you can after you arrive at a diagnosis. Many times, there is a "treatment window" and if you leave it too long, you will not be able to save the fish.

ophiura

Originally Posted by woolfe
If I'm not mistaken the site I think everyone's talking about does not sell anything. It also doesn't advertise for anyone. Just an awesome place for information.

If everyone is talking about it, why do we need a link?
Look, people need to understand...you can't allow some and not others. We may MISS these links, yes, but when we find them they are deleted.
We don't have the time to go to every posted link and say "oh, nothing commercial there." Many do have advertiser forums, sponsor links, etc. It is just an all or nothing rule. Don't people see how difficult it could be to allow some and not others?
Please don't take it the wrong way, but just drop it.
I would also appreciate it if you not just cut and paste from another site
It really isn't appropriate - unless you can post their name to properly cite them. "Susan Smith wrote this...."
Can't people rephrase things on their own?
Don't people here know things? Or how about this, google "seahorse diseases." Come on, folks...we're not trying to be difficult. I know people here have experience. How are we going to build up our seahorse info if everyone just says "oh go there?" You can help people by sharing your info here.
Please, let it rest, or unfortunately the thread will be closed.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by reefreak29
besides all the bacterial, and parasitic problems they may get im going to skip this because its more common
some things seahorses can get solely are internal and external gas bubble disease u will actually see this and it is easy to spot u will first need to put them in a quarenteen tank and use a broad spectrum antibiotic for 24 hrs like maricin or u can use a pill that treats gloacoma in humans.
swim bladder: if u notice your sea horse floating it may have swim bladder and u can treat this with paragon
hope this helps i had external gas bubble disease and was able to treat it
i would be more then happy to talk seahorse with u ive been keeping thefor years and have treated a number of diseases, i remember when u could get them for 7 bucks

ophiura

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i would be more then happy to talk seahorse with u ive been keeping thefor years and have treated a number of diseases, i remember when u could get them for 7 bucks

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

teresaq

I guess because i am a new seahorse keeper, Though i researched for over a yr, and talk to a lot of people before buying them, i dont feel comfortable telling people what to do for thier horses. I rely on people with more experiance to guild me.

ophiura

First, there are often people who have done FAR less, who present themselves as knowing FAR more
There is nothing wrong with saying you haven't been doing it a long time...look at many threads here on other topics!
What is great is sharing experiences, mistakes, etc...knowing you are in the same boat, and each learning from it. If we keep saying "go somewhere else" to find that information, and never sharing here, we will never help the people who come here.

rykna

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Rykna, e-mail me sometime, we can talk horses, and if you have any questions we can talk direct. m0m24@earthlink dot net
Wow!!! Thankyou
You'll definately be hearing from me ASAP :happyfish