Sea Horses in a Reef tank ?

espkh9

I have a 125 Reef with about 3200 GPH flow...I have many deep sea yellow gorgonians around the reef but since i have many SPS corals that require a lot of flow I was wondering if there is a colorful sea horse that ccan live in the reef ? it's mostly a LPS Reef with several mushrroms,softies, and SPS corals. the fish in the reef are peaceful fish.
I tried it once a few years ago when I only had a rio 14 as a pump thats was 850 gph and within minutes the captive bred sea hourse which was 1.5 inches was blown away..this was when I was in the beginning of the hobby and did not know better..I forgot the name of this sea horse but it was black.

kelly

Way too much flow for seahorses... Seahorses constantly feed, so a reef tank is not really good idea for them, they need a slow (flow wise) peaceful tank with lots of food. Some can be hand fed though. I would recommend a separate tank for them.

espkh9

is it possible at all to have sea horses in a reef tank ? any strong or larger ones that can stand the flow ?

reefkprz

it would be better said you can keep some corals in a seahorse tank rather than keeping horses in a reef. there are many corals that will sting and damage horses not to mention the flow problems and feeding, etcetera. a sea horse tank needs to be tailored to their needs. throwing them in a mixed reef with hostile corals is a recipe for disaster.

sh00tist

Add to that list the fact that seahorses require a lower temp than most of our reef creatures,they have very short life-spans,and are very finicky eaters not to mention the costs of aquisition you can understand why they do best in a specimen type setup. My buddy has kept a pipefish(dragon face I believe) for about a year now in a tank with heavy flow so you might look into a copule of those.

espkh9

i wanted braziallian yellow and orange seahorses but from these posts it is impossible to add to my reef tank.

novahobbies

ReefkprZ nailed it right on the head. There are some corals you can keep with ponies, but not many. In general it's better to keep seahorses in a smaller aquarium. Ponies like less flow than most reef tanks, and because of their very deliberate feeding habits you have to choose carefully the other tankmates to have around your sea horses.
LPS corals are strictly a no-no. They, like anemones, are far too likely to sting the horses. You can get away with a few soft corals, but the difficulty in keeping them is almost prohibitive. The cooler water, added to the reduced water flow, makes keeping them a constant battle.
If you really want ponies I'd suggest (humbly, 'cause I'm new!
) another tank entirely. The Good news: you won't really need some unbelievably expensive light for the seahorse tank -- since there's no corals, there's no great need for metal halides. More good news: Since these do not require photosynthesis, you can
consider gorgonians for a pony pen. Gorgonians are also great as hitching posts for the horses. Just make sure they get enough flow to keep algae from growing on them. If you do decide on a new tank, try for one that has a good amount of vertical swimming room. Sea horses tend to use the whole water column.
Finally, if you like there are also plenty of good tankmates that you can add if you want a little more than just seahorses in the display. Pick animals that are shy, reclusive, and picky feeders. It's a great opportuity to display both your wonderful sea horses as well as a fish or three that you might not be able to keep with the more agressive animals in your reef tank. For my part, I chose a royal gramma, red firefish, lyretail anthias, and a single mandarin. As I'm sure you know, just make sure there's plenty of live rock and preferably pod piles or a refugium to keep the pod population stocked. Also, pipefish are excellent to keep with sea horses. They feed in the same manner almost.
Sorry this post took so long!!
As you can see I was pretty worried about doing the right thing when I decided I wanted a seahorse tank. If you do a google search, you can find a number of different seahorse forums with people that will be more than willing to help you get started. Good luck!

reefkprz

Thast is a beautiful tank unfortunatly I can spot 10 different corals right off the bat that would spell the end for any unfortunate seahorse to stumble across them.