Sea monkey eggs

TD1993

Hi, I recently got some eggs off my sea monkeys and I don't have a clue why they're not hatching. They're in the tank with my one and only male sea monkey (the rest died :() thanks.

bang guy

Sea Monkeys (Artemia, AKA Brine Shrimp) only produce eggs when they are stressed. The eggs will not hatch until the stress that killed the adults is removed. It could be water quality, temperature or lack of food.

flower

Get yourself some brine shrimp eggs, and hatch another batch of sea monkeys. Read up on line how to raise your own live fish food, which is what brine shrimp is considered to be.

TD1993

Thanks for the answers. How do I know what it was that was stressing them out? I did everything the instructions told me to do. Thanks.

flower

Thanks for the answers. How do I know what it was that was stressing them out? I did everything the instructions told me to do. Thanks.
Hi,

Those tiny little fish bowl tanks they sell with them are hard to keep stable. With saltwater you need test kits to know what's going on. I got sea-monkeys when I was a kid, and dwarf seahorses, those little "tanks" are impossible for kids to know what to do to keep it stable, they don't tell you about parameters, or SG or anything else regarding saltwater critters.

Ocean critters are not developed to handle change, so even temperature dips stress them out. The ocean is steady, our little tanks are not.

It makes no sense to purchase expensive test kits to keep sea-monkeys (brine shrimp) alive. Most hatch them out and feed them to their fish within a day. Get yourself a good beginners book on keeping saltwater tanks, you may find there are way cooler things to keep as pets than sea-monkeys.

TD1993

Hi, thanks for your reply. I quite like them is why I got them. Are triops any better? Ordered some of them to see if they're better. I don't have fish and wouldn't feed them living animals even if I did. Do you know what else I could try? Thanks.

flower

Hi, thanks for your reply. I quite like them is why I got them. Are triops any better? Ordered some of them to see if they're better. I don't have fish and wouldn't feed them living animals even if I did. Do you know what else I could try? Thanks.
Get yourself a good beginners book, that way you can learn how to control the water parameters. Saltwater critters eat other saltwater critters, I'm afraid it's nature. You can get a bigger tank, and keep more advanced critters that you can feed frozen food to. That way you won't feed live food. Unless you learn how to test the water, and know the right SG levels, you won't be able to keep any saltwater creature alive.

So that means a much greater investment. I can tell you that it's worth it, but that depends on if you really want to get into keeping SW critters, and a fish tank. It won't matter what critter you get, you have to balance the water to match what the critter needs to survive. That requires a book at least, so you even know what to do to even try to accomplish that.