Sea Robin

L

lunareclipse

A few years ago I bought a Sea Robin. Another name for it is a Flying Gurnard. My electric went out and he died. I have called everywhere that I can think of to order a new one, but nobody has ever heard of one. Do any of you know where I can get another one of these beautiful fish?

jaxfishgirl

that Live Drs website has them on their page, but it says "email me when in stock" and I found a website but it only sells to businesses. You could probably ask your LFS to order one for you

cranberry

Not sure where you live, but there are a couple in local stores here.
Do you have any pics of yours?

L

lunareclipse

I live in Ohio. Where are you at? They don't have any Sea Robins near where I live.

L

lunareclipse

I don't have a pic. I do have a video somewhere though. It's from when I first got him, so I might have to do some digging to find it.

cranberry

I'm in California. They actually don't call them Sea Robin's around here, that's reserved for another fish.

btldreef

Flying Gurnards (Dactyloptena orientalis) aka Sea Robins are available from time to time @ Live ... Aquaria .... com, that's the dr's site they're speaking of. They're almost never in stock on any site that does carry them. I don't think it's a fish that SWF carries.

r1v2c

too funny ... i just got back from my local LFS and they had Flying Gurnards. I was gonna google them after checking saltwaterfish.com for more info because I thought they werereally cool looking fish ... they grow big though ... i guess Montreal is too far from Ohio?!?!

oceankid

Originally Posted by Lunareclipse
http:///forum/post/3236064
A few years ago I bought a Sea Robin. Another name for it is a Flying Gurnard. My electric went out and he died. I have called everywhere that I can think of to order a new one, but nobody has ever heard of one. Do any of you know where I can get another one of these beautiful fish?
I think it's a butterfly, not a fish

S

saxman

flying gurnards belong to family Dactylopteridae while the fish most people refer to as "sea robins" belong to family Triglidae.
that being said, you may get more "hits" if you look for "flying gurnard" as opposed to "sea robin".
in fact, we just passed up a sea robin due to adult size and mouth size. the same LFS had (2) flying gurnards, and gets them fairly often, as the owner like oddball fish.

L

lunareclipse

I looked up both names. The one that I got was listed as a Sea Robin, but after I got brought him home, I looked him up and saw he looked more like a Flying Gurnard. So I assumed they were both one and the same. I will keep looking for another one, though. He was my most prized fish. He had a lot more blue on him than the ones in the pics I posted.

gastineaub

Gerber's Saltwater warehouse has one - as of two days ago. It's in Dayton, Ohio. Not sure where you're at in Ohio though.

L

lunareclipse

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3236400
I agree +1000 ...but it looks mean, it has spikes on its fins.
They one that I had didn't have a mean bone in his body. He ate shrimp from my hand. And whenever I was near the glass he would come out and "show off" for me.

L

lunareclipse

Can't go today. My lighting system doesn't get back until tomorrow.