Sea-Spider

splderboy

I just noticed a sea-spider in a hole in my rock today... I'am just setting up a reef... And was wondering if the spider would hurt anything?

F

finger leather

What did it look like? How big? what color? Sorry to answer your question w/ more questions. I've never heard of a sea-spider. Did it just look like a spider, or do you know it was spider?

splderboy

Well at first I didn't know what it was but it does look like a spider... it's about 30mm maybe a little more two of it's legs where longer then the others and had hooks on them and it was black and white it tried to grab my turbo snail. it's in a hole on my live rock and has not fully emerged yet.

F

finger leather

Well. I was at my favorite LFS and a little boy(about 5) looked at the show tank and said "Mommy! Look at the spider!" And the so called spider was a Arrow crab. Thats all I know of, or maby some kind of pod. If it has a long sharp head w/ very long legs, it's a baby Arrow crab. There are a lot of people who think this is not reef safe. It depends, some will eat larger fish by stabbing its prey with its long head and uses its long arms to get the food. If its a pod of some sort, Its good for the tank. i hear you added LR, pods come in that rock all the time.

[hr]
See, even 12 year-old are well educated in this hobby! :D

it doesnt stan fish withits head,but when larger it will eat fish the size of gubbies(with its claws not head mr.bubbles i know ur finger leather) and is kinda territorial.but also eats bristleworms

it doesnt stab fish with its head,but when larger it will eat fish the size of gubbies(with its claws not head mr.bubbles i know ur finger leather) and is kinda territorial.but also eats bristleworms

splderboy

So how would I get this thing out and if I can't will it be safe to put corals in or should I take that peace of rock out all together?

F

finger leather

Joes reefer, 2 things:
1)Im not Mr.Bubbles(Sharks check my IP, dont care)
2) I know thats how it will kill its prey. It stabs it with its long pointed head and it uses its long arms to get the food. Im 100%sure on this one. Sharks, Please check my IP so I can prove that im not mr.bubbles!