sea urchin/ starfish/snails

gilpil

yeah, I have a chocolate chip starfish, and 5 mexican turbo snails, and could have an urchin, but am afraid he will knock rocks over or stab fish. My CC starfish has been a model citizen, but I hear they may become a problem with snails when they get large.

E

essop3

If the right species of each is chosen.
I have brittle stars, urchins, cerith, asteria, conchs, nassarius, bumble bees, nerite, margaritas and scarlet hermits

cubscrew

Right now i have about 60 llyanassa obsoleta snails in the tank and a tiger serpant starfish in my sump a friend gave me the starfish and i was kind of scared that he would eat my snails, i would like to get a red knob starfish and a purple urchin, what do think are they compatible?

duke13

cubs89, the only thing you have to worry about is the starfish. Your snails and urchins will get along just fine. Certain starfish can be aggressive when they get larger. Olive Brittle Starfish and Serpant stars have been known to prey on other inverts and even small slow moving or sleeper fish.
If you buy from the inverts available on this site, you'll be fine compatibility wise. Just avoid the Serpant and Olive Brittle Starfish. If you want a good starter Starfish, get a Chocolate Chip.

gilpil

I have heard that red knob starfish are very aggressive, and I have had a chance to get one, wanted it but did not want to lose all of my snails, so passed.

C

cubs89

Thanks for the info Duke13, i think i will go with swf invert selection and start with a chocolate chip starfish and as for the urchin it will be a purple urchin or the rainbow urchin, and the tiger surpant starfish that i have will be given to my brother in law i dont want any problems, thanks again!!

duke13

Originally posted by Gilpil
I have heard that red knob starfish are very aggressive, and I have had a chance to get one, wanted it but did not want to lose all of my snails, so passed.

If you're referring to the African General Starfish, I would have to disagree. I had one and it never touched a soul. However, the poor guy didn't make it during the move. My favorite starfish by far.....

C

cubs89

Hey Duke, yes i was talking about the general starfish that is the one i really want to get but i wont if it is going eat everything, should i try the general instead of the chocolate starfish?

duke13

That would be up to you. All I can say is the one I had was very docile. I know some descriptions of this star say semi-aggressive but I have yet to see any aggression from the ones I've seen, including the one I used to own. If you want to spend the money, the African General Star is well worth it. A stunning looking Starfish, IMO....

ophiura

Chocolate chip, general and Red African stars are "Docile" but predatory and can cause real damage in an inappropriate tank. They are not suitable for a reef tank and may certainly eat any slow invert like a snail. THis is their natural prey, and it should be anticipated that they will eat a few. However, all take well to spot feeding which is a draw (but may not prevent them from eating snails, clams, etc).
Linckia and "reef safe" seastars are a special topic as their needs are very specific. Please do research on those ( a search will turn up plenty)
There is no biological distinction between brittle and serpentstars. This distinction is made in the trade only. The green brittlestar (I think this is what is meant by olive) is a known predator in the wild, and has caused trouble in captivity. However, I have multiple specimens with a sixline wrasse, and they've never bothered him (previously even in a 15g).
Other people have issues with other species of both brittle and serpentstars...this is simply a risk of keeping any animal. Often, they are the fall guy, getting the blame for holding the evidence (a dead fish). However, people forget that they were put in there to "Clean up." Regardless some will actively hunt food. All should be spot fed. But it is not fair to say that only serpentstars should be avoided, or only the green. I have heard and some point or another of nearly evey species in the trade implicated, though I believe most who keep them have no trouble (regardless of "brittle" or "serpent"). As mentioned, most reports implicate the green brittlestar.
Urchins are OK, though they bulldoze rockwork and the long spine is poisonous. You must always know where it is relative to your hand. The slate pencil urchin is not considered reef safe. Also note that they have a habit of grazing on coralline algae which may upset people who have tanks where it is slow to regrow.
There are situations were these animals could hurt each other, especially predatory stars eating other stars or urchins and most commonly snails. Some brittlestars, based on personality, mostly, may pose a threat to small fish and various shrimp. But all are simply doing what is instinctive.