seabe anemonie!!! fast!!

gohome

i got a seabe anemonie today i temperature acclimated it and put it in my tank i moved it on this rock i liked it to be. about 5 minutes later he fell he is not siting opened on the buttom of my tank. should i just let him walk wherever he wants??

devilboy

i believe sebaes do like to roam until they find a place on their own where they are comfy. and will attach.

gohome

c mon im about to close my lights i got to know what to do befor i close my lights. me anemonie is just sitting in it buttom of the sand not it hasent really moved. it opened though

jacknjill

no rubberband!
did you only temp acclimate him? you should have dripped him for a couple hours! they are very sensitive to salinity swings as they basucally fill themselves up with water,
if he hasnt yet attached and is laying face down, pick him up and hold him base down on top of a rock. he should grab on

T

thomas712

OK relax, normal behavior here. Opening and closing is his way of taking in your water and getting used to the chemistry, he will either get used to it or be shocked by it. Jumping off of the rocks isn't unusual either, he might just like to be near a rock that is on the sandbed, on the sandbed, or even on the rocks. It isn't up to you, it will be up to the anemone.
As long as you water quality is very good and you have metal halide lights to sustain him he might be fine.
If I were you and had an unprotected power head then I'd find a sponge filter to cover the intake with.
Never use a rubberband on an anemone
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by gohome
he looks really healthy though.
As in a nice brown or tan color?

gohome

i also have a GS maroon clown will he host it?? and can i buy another GS maroon clown or will they fight tho only one i found in the store was the same size as mine.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by gohome
he is a white seabe anemonie and he has a yellow with purple tips and the body is like white-tan
Sigh~*
All healthy anemones have a population of zooxanthellae in their body tissues that helps provide nutrients to the host anemone. This algae population is brown in color, and all healthy anemones will have an underlying color tone of light to dark brown depending upon the intensity of lighting under which they are kept, and the size of their zooxanthellae population. In cases of stress or poor water conditions, the zooxanthellae population in an anemone can die or be expelled. This condition is called “bleaching” since a healthy, dark colored anemone can become light and pale overnight. Bleached anemones are white or translucent in color, and lack the noticeable brown undercoloring of healthy anemones. The lack of zooxanthellae puts an anemone at significant health risk, since it no longer has a substantial source of nutrients. However, even badly stressed and bleached anemones can recover if placed in a stable, healthy environment. Daily feedings and appropriate light conditions will help the animal to rebuild its zooxanthellae population and reacquire its normal tan/brownish color over time. This process may take a while – three months is not unusual.
Unfortunately when sebae's are collected almost all of them loose their zooxanthellae, and many of them die because they are not put back into prime conditions, this means very good water conditions, metal halide lighting, and feeding about 3 times per week while they recuperate.
Yours sounds like it has lost much, but not all of its zooxanthellae. The yellow part scares me, but then I can't see your anemone. Yellow is a sign of two things in a sebae. 1, its lost alot of zoo, or its coming back. 2 its been dyed, depending on the color of the anemone. I don't think yours is dyed or you would be describing it differently.
Have some meaty foods to give it when it settles down and gets more acclimated to your system. Feeding will help but is not a replacement for poor lighting. Being a sebae it will most likely be near the very bottom of the tank, its just something many of them seem to do, and will need some of the best lighting which means the PAR of the MH lighting is best.
I do have two photo's of a sebae anemone, kindof a before and after pics, the sebae belonged to Broomer5 a one time mod and former active member of this board. I could post them if you like.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Sebae anemone of Broomer5 when he first got it. At the time I believe he only had lower watt VHO or PC lighting.

T

thomas712

Here it is several months later with 940 watts over his 75 gallon tank. VHO/MH combo. Back to health.