Seachem Matrix Biomedia

lukeg1981

My tank is growing nuisance algae.
All the test kits say that everything looks good. So phosphates and nitrates are getting used as fast as they are introduced. I was thinking about anything that may be causing the nuisance algae to continue to grow, and I remembered that a lfs told me to ad a nylon stocking with a fist full of Seachem Matrix biomedia. It's underneath the rocks and doesn't get cleaned. I forgot it was even there.
Should I...
A.) remove the biomedia clean it and return it under the rocks
B.) add it to the back (the back is already full with an intank basket and protein skimmer, it's a biocube so I could add it to chamber 3 with the pump)
C.) remove it all together
D.) Leave the biomedia alone
If you cleaned the biomedia, would you just rinse with RODI water?
Could this be a source of nitrates and phosphates?
Does anyone clean rocks and coral? I usually siphon around the rocks and coral and leave them untouched. I do use a turkey baster to clear debris from the rocks and coral.

mr. limpid

Seachem Matrix biomedia is a filter media needs to be in a high flow area like a drip tray or canister filter. It doesn't claim to need to be replaced. It is probably acting much like LR. As for your algae problem, do you have a clean up crew that included algae consumers? Tips on stopping algae: cut back on feeding, feed less more often, make sure no left over food, cut back on lighting time, (unless you have coral), add macro algae in your sump, If all else fails add a lawn mower blenny it will love your algae and you'll never need to feed it, only if you want one.

lukeg1981

Mr. Limpid-
Sounds like you are suggesting that I place the biomedia in the Biocube third chamber. The third chamber has decent flow.
I have a decent cleanup crew although they seem to slowly die off. I loss a snail and a couple crabs every month. I cut back my feeding a lot already, I have macro algae, and I have coral so I don't want to cut back on lighting.
I'm researching the lawnmower blenny and am considering it.

mr. limpid

I don't like recommending a creature to solve algae problems but if all done right and still algae, a creature will be the answer. And yes I would move the biomedia to a high flow area. One other thing you are using RO/DI water?