Seaclear System II Overhaul

cogreywolf

I currently have a 65 gallon Seaclear System II aquarium. The wet/dry is built into the back and is a nitrate machine. I have tons of live sand and live rock but still produce alot of nitrates.
I am curious if I can add a fluidized bed to my aquarium and remove all of the bioballs in the built in wet/dry and build a refugium in it instead. With the refugium, I can grow caulerpa to help with the nitrate removal. Does anyone out there think this is possible or any other ideas?

If you have tons of sand and rock take out the bio balls slowly, over a few days/week time. Thats where your nitrates are coming from. With all the sand and rock no bio balls are needed.

guppie

I don't see why not, agree about takeing out the bio balls a little at a time. You might have to get a smaller ph to use as a return, if that is how it is set up. Are your light set up so the refugium will get light, if not you might have to add a small light over it.

gregzbobo

I agree with the other posts, slowly over a period of time remove the bioballs. A fluidized bed filter Does the same thing as bioballs, namely mineralizing nitrites and ammonia into nitrate. If there is room in the back of that filter, put some small pieces of live rock in it to replace the bioballs. They don't have to be pretty rocks though.

macmaniac

I currently have a SeaClear 40 gal Uniquarium that has the same 'built-in' wet/dry in the back w/ 40lbs of l/r and 40lbs of l/s.
Mine's only been running for 4 months or so and my nitrates are running between 2.5 and 5.0.
I had read somewhere about removing the bio-balls over a period of time, removing 25% or so each time. Possibly when you do a water change? Once they were removed, you could put in L/R rubble or small pieces. Even use it as a holding tank!
I would really like to give it a try, but don't want to risk my tank on a 'theory'.
Anyone actually given this a try?
Jeff